New Tank a Lil HELP Please

JustinsReefTank

Reefing newb
Let me start offf by saying HELLO everyone!! I am new here and looking forward to all suggestions and help.

So for fathers day my wife bought me a 37 gallon tall tank with stand canopy and bioball filtration system.

I need a ligth system and power heads and maybe more.. Thats where I need your help
Any other suggestions and what they might be

1 ligth what size and kind.. I am looking to do a reef tank

2 power heads and what size and brand

3 anything else I might have forgotten

Thanks in advance to ALL your help

Justin

Hello and welcome to the site.

First off, ditch the bio balls and replace them with Live Rock rubble.
Second, a pair of Koralia 2 or 3 powerheads should give you plenty of flow.
Third, I would look for a good T5 Fixture of at least 4 bulbs as your light. If you can find and afford a 6 bulb fixture, even better.

You didn't mention it, but do you have a Protein Skimmer? If not, you will want to include that into the equation as well.

Hello and Welcome!

Do your research, its the best thing you can do for yourself. Research your fish, your corals, your equipment, your inverts, EVERYTHING before you buy it. It will save you a ton of heartache down the road

Thanks fir your input. I currently have a Eclipse 6 gallon set up with salt water with corals. Its my first tank and ive enjoyed every second of it.
Fast ive heard about getting rid of the bio balls and use of live rock is okay. I havent thought about a protien skimmer because my local shop that has helped me out alot said it wasnt necassary as of yet!! Being the key word...

Any other suggrstions would be greatly appreciated also.

Fast also one more thing... If i get the T-5 light fixture what color bulbs????

thanks again
Justin

I say get 2 Actinic and 2 Daylight but that is what I would do. Some people like more blue.

Hey you could get one MH Pendant if you wanted to use MH but T5 is nice and cool though.

Thanks for all the imput on this new tank.
Just one more question on sumps...
What kind/size should I get. I have never had to use one of these before therefore I know nothing about these.
Thanks in advance
Justin

There are many sites that can give you a recommended size sump to use.

For example I have a 220gal tank and a 75gal sump but the total water volume I measured going into both was only 220gal.

I read in a few places to use a sump that is at least 50% of you main tanks volume but I think that is a bit too much meaning you don't have to.

For a 37gal just try to find a 20gal sump at least. You could always go on craigslist and find a used sump.

I prefer using a tank because most sumps do not allow for you to use the center for your return area. I am not saying you can't but with a 20gal tank you can easily put baffles where you want.

I use a huge skimmer so I need a tank that is at least 18" wide as the skimmer has a 16" footprint.

I never made one before until recently and it was easy. Check it here https://www.livingreefs.com/phastrohs-220-gallon-build-pic-heavy-t36169.html

Pre-made sumps are usually costly new so that is why I say craigslist. Depending on how you want the set-up depends on what you need.

The way I have mine set-up is the best way in my opinion because it allows total control of the flow in the fuge(if you have one)

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Just go with as of tank as can fit under your stand. Also like phastroh said, you can build your own which will end up being a much cheaper option. Also you dont have to use a glass tank, a rubbermaid bin will work just as well

Back