New Tank Advice Needed

messiah023

Reefing newb
OK, I've been looking at a tank upgrade for a while now....well, pretty much since I started my first tank (like everyone else).

I've been looking at 65/75 tanks with stands, but everything from the LFS was so expensive. I tried to find used and wasn't happy with the local used tank scene.

I am away on business and checked some local shops and found what I think is a steal, but I wanted some thoughts.

I can pickup a 75g drilled with corner overflow (brand new) with plumbing kit plus a cherry wood stand & canopy for $490.00.
They also have a 90g flavor on the same tank & stand for $510.00.

Thoughts????

I am a bit worried about going to 90g, but I guess it's really on 3 more buckets of water after all.

I thought the pricing looked good for all new equipment & stands.

Around here for new tank and stand that would be a steal. Id go for the 90 for 20 bucks more or see if you cant talk em down a bit. 90 gallon is still 48in long right? and looks as if your old 30 gallon would make a great sump and would sit in the stand(assuming you didnt want to keep the 30 gallon running) but as im quickly finding out bigger tanks mean bigger bucks on lights and skimmer and what nots. Just my 2 cents

Yes, out of town dealer.
I am driving my truck, so the equipment will fit in the back for the drive home.

I talked them down $50 bucks already to the prices I listed.
A 75g is the same dimensions (except height) as a 90g & 110g.

Prices are normally $1,200.00 for the same 90g setup from my LFS.

How tall is the 90? For the sake of saving money, I'd want to run T5s. The depth difference between the 90 and 75 may determine if you can use T5s or have to use MH (since they have the same footprint size).

Biff,

The depth is 24" (49 x 18 x 24).
I think I am right on the fringe of T5's vs MH.
If I have a 6" dsb, i am well within T5 range......

Is there a good depth to light reference? Drs F&S state the limits at 24" or greater to MH.

Thanks for the input everyone.

BTW,

This is the pic of the stand (tank) I am buying.
The stand & canopy are from RJ Aquatics here in Florida.

stand.gif

For that depth, go with T5s. T5s will penetrate effectively for approximately 18 inches. Which means, at a 24 inch depth, just keep your lower light corals at the bottom (shrooms, softies, zoas, just like I do in my tank). If you add a couple inches of sand in the bottom, you should have no problems.

I think some LFSs will sell tanks cheap cause they want to get you into the hobby. We couldn't fit the BC29 in my car and the LFS guy drove it to my house for me even though they didn't do deliveries.

Back