New tank and a reseal?

RocketSapp

Reefing newb
So, as I had posted in other threads I just picked up a used tank, it's an Oceanic 144 gallon tank which measures 48"L, X 24"D X 29"T.

TSP5584.jpg

I grabbed a stack of razor blades last night and started cleaning up the tank, to include removing the black paint from the two side panels of glass. After that I started to clean up the inside of the tank as well. There are a few scratches in the glass but nothing I can't live with. Plus being used and getting it at the price I got it for I knew there was going to be some scratches.

So, while cleaning it I noticed something odd on the silicone inside the tank. In a couple of the edges in the tank the silicone is not clear like it normally is. It has what almost looks like a brown growth on it but it's not really anything on the surface. I can't rub any of it off and the silicone is still soft and pliable like most silicone surfaces I have seen.

TSP5581.jpg

I don't know what it is, and I also have no idea what was in the tank before I got it. You can ignore the specks on the left hand side of the tank. That is just dust on the black painted back of the tank.

This is on the same side of the tank but in between the side and front panel of glass.

TSP5576.jpg

Should I cut all the silicone from the inside of the tank and reseal it? :question: I am leaning towards re-sealing the tank. Just some of the better safe than sorry attitude I have been thinking with since getting such a large tank.

I already have a tube of 100% silicone so it would not be a problem to get that started. And if I do need to cut it out, do you think I need to cut it all out, or just the part that looks odd?

Tim

If it was me...I would cut it out a reseal...better safe the sorry. also I would take out that entire section not just the discolored part. The last thing you want is for a seal to fail after your tank is full and you have a few thousand of stock in it. Also...I hate to say this but with the discoloration I would be concerned that the tank had a copper treatment used in it. It is my understanding that the copper can stay in the silicone. Now I am not a expert on that, but I tend to go on the side of caution with something like that...better to fix it now and be wrong that you didnt really need to do it then not do it and find out it was needed. :twocents:

I kind of feel the same way when it comes to the better safe than sorry thinking. I started cutting out the silicone this morning. I dont know if it's from a copper treatment or something else... The area showing the discoloration is maybe only 8 to 10" and about 5" from the top of the tank.

But anyhow, I started to cut all the silicone out of the tank this morning. I had to leave it to go hang out with family, but I will be back at it later today.

Tim

OK, so I finished last night with the reseal of the tank.

The silicone says that it is fully set after 12 hours. So, by the time I get home and around to doing anything with the tank it will have set for about 20 to 22 hours. Should I wait longer or can I start putting water in the tank to test the new seal? It should be a good seal, as I think it has a nice bead of silicone around all the edges. I used around 4 tubes of the GE 100% silicone to get the job done.

Tim

Back