New Tank and Some Questions

ReefyCane

SuperNewbie
Hi All,

In addition to the 12g NanoCube I am setting up, I also found a great deal on a 24g AquaPod with HQI lighting. I was also offered a 34g Solana complete setup for a nice price as well.

My questions to you guys are:

Which would you choose and why? I have read some reviews, but I like this forum and appreciate your opinions.

These AIO setups come with bioballs, sponges and ceramic rings alot of the time...would you use them or just use live rock instead?

Do I need to buy more powerful pumps for these systems?

Do I need to buy a heater/chiller for these systems?

What do I need to purchase in terms of testing kits? I know the LFS offered one to me, but it was like $129. I guess it has everything I need, but not knowing exactly I didn't want to bite. I will be buying other things from the store later I am sure.

Would you buy live rock from the LFS or would you go online. It is like $8 a pound here and salt water is $1/gallon.

Speaking of which, I have access to RO/Distilled water (I work in a lab) would this be OK for my tanks? Could I mix my own salt water up? Where could I buy 5-10 gallon "clean" containers for my water?

I know I've asked a lot of questions and I appreciate the time and response from all of you. I just want to make sure I take the right approach to this as I want to be as competent as possible!

Thanks,
ReefyCane

The larger the tank, the easier it will be to maintain, so I would go with the 34 gallon one.

Ditch the bioballs, etc. Go with live rock instead. Unless you are very diligent about cleaning the bioballs, they can lead to nitrate problems.

You will need a heater for each one and a couple powerheads. If you need a chiller, forget about it. Chillers run around $400 apiece. The only reason you would need a chiller is if you had powerful MH lights running on a really small tank.

The most basic test kits you'll need are: a refractometer, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH and alkalinity. If you get corals, you will need a calcium test kit. You can buy an all-in-one test kit set, but keep in mind that you will use the different tests up at different rates, so you'll end up buying them separately eventually anyways.

$8/lb for live rock is a good price. You can find it online at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums for as low as $3 or $4 per lb. I've ordered live rock from them and it's been good.

Buying premade saltwater is expensive. You can buy RODI water at Walmart or the grocery store, or it's okay to use the water from your lab. If you want, you can buy an RODI unit and install it under your sink at home. You can use any kind of container for your water, a lot of people use rubbermaid tubs or trash cans, or camping water jugs. Just make sure they are 100% plastic and have no metal parts.

Biffs got you covered pretty good.
At 8 bucks a pound at your LFS,you cant go wrong.You can pick and choose the rocks you like,and the ones best suited for your tank.Plus when you figure in shipping,you'll pay close to $8.00 per pound any way if not a little more.

Hi All,

In addition to the 12g NanoCube I am setting up, I also found a great deal on a 24g AquaPod with HQI lighting. I was also offered a 34g Solana complete setup for a nice price as well.I'm not familar with the Solana but I say the bigger the better

My questions to you guys are:

Which would you choose and why? I have read some reviews, but I like this forum and appreciate your opinions.

These AIO setups come with bioballs, sponges and ceramic rings alot of the time...would you use them or just use live rock instead?I would live rock in the dispaly and rubble in place of bioballs/ceramic rings

Do I need to buy more powerful pumps for these systems?Most likely not,it would be beneficial to have additional powerheads for added flow.I like two Koralia model ones for a 34g.

Do I need to buy a heater/chiller for these systems?If it comes with Mh then you may need a chiller.I would definitely put in a heater.(100w should do)

What do I need to purchase in terms of testing kits? I know the LFS offered one to me, but it was like $129. I guess it has everything I need, but not knowing exactly I didn't want to bite. I will be buying other things from the store later I am sure.You will want the basics first-ammonia,pH,nitrite and nitrate.Later if a reef is what your going with then at least calcium and akalinity.There are more if you really want to be hardcore-magnesium,iodine etc.

Would you buy live rock from the LFS or would you go online. It is like $8 a pound here and salt water is $1/gallon. I bought most of mine online.I couldn't wait on my LFS to get decent rocks.Its better to go locally so you can see what they look like in person.Online came out cheaper for me even after shipping.Dr. Foster's lalo and Saltcritter's Uaniva is some great rocks

Speaking of which, I have access to RO/Distilled water (I work in a lab) would this be OK for my tanks? Could I mix my own salt water up? Where could I buy 5-10 gallon "clean" containers for my water?That should be okay,I bought my containers from LFS.I'm not sure where else to get those jugs at.

I know I've asked a lot of questions and I appreciate the time and response from all of you. I just want to make sure I take the right approach to this as I want to be as competent as possible!

Thanks,
ReefyCane

Good luck.

you have got some good advice so far. Watch your temp with those lights and before you get a chiller, try a clip on fan and make sure the top of the tank is open to allow for evaporation, it will help keep the heat down. Jugs can be purchased at Wal-Mart, and anywhere you buy RO water. I got mine at the grocery store and my LFS.

-Doc

I say you buy neither. You are going down the same path I went down. I started with a 24 Nano (grew out of it fast), then a 55 (grew out of it faster), now I own a 75 and a 12 nano. I know im going to go bigger again too. My suggestion, save your money and do a 55 or larger. Just my two cents though.

it is good advice Hawk, but don't you remember the itch? once you get it, you just have to go and get a tank, even if it is not exaclty what you wish you had. patience tends not to flow easily in this hobby.

-Doc

it is good advice Hawk, but don't you remember the itch? once you get it, you just have to go and get a tank, even if it is not exaclty what you wish you had. patience tends not to flow easily in this hobby.

-Doc

AMEN
Thats got to be the one thing in this hobby that IS absolute.

-Doc

I still have the ITCH. I wish I saved up and bought a 120+ instead of the 75.

HA!!!

Hawk got

RockBottom-1.jpg

OWNED!!!

-Doc

Yeah dude, that rash was looking pretty bad last time I saw you. Maybe you should go get it checked out and start being more careful... ;)

Hey you still slept with me though. Your going to have it soon also! BTW Rigo gave me some great ointment to get rid of it. Give him a ring maybe you can snip it in the butt early.

sounds like there is a story there. One that I probably do not want to know about. The fantasy in my mind is probably better than the 4 seconds of reality the two of you shared anyway

-Doc

Back