New tank beginning

ibefishy

Reefing newb
Here are the first pics of the tank in the works. I am starting with a diy overflow. These pics are so anyone can critique my design before I make and install it. I wanted the overflow in the middle of the tank but due to the flex of the back wall when the tank is full I felt it may be better to move it to a corner where there is a little more stability. If anyone has some suggestions I would really like to hear them. The drain will be going thru the back wall and the return will be going on the opposite side. Well what do you think? Let me have it.

Thanks

Nate
newtankintheworks002.jpg

I am off to go cut some acrylic for my overflow box. This one is just going to be a test to see how I do working with acrylic. But before I do I wanted to post a picture of the drain I was going to use. I may wrap some foam stuff around it also to keep snails or anything like that going for a ride down the drain. Does anyone see a problem with this design?

nate

drainstandpipe1.jpg

impressive skill. I just don't have the capacity to DIY. I am always impressed with those who can do that. great job

-Doc

This DIY stuff is definitly a learning experiance. I thought it would be fairly easy, its not. I would rather work with metal than acrylic. I have been to HD more times than I can count and have bought lots of acrylic sheets from them. All i can say is you will definitly learn patience and self control trying to build some of this stuff. Well back to work.

This DIY stuff is definitly a learning experiance. I thought it would be fairly easy, its not. I would rather work with metal than acrylic. I have been to HD more times than I can count and have bought lots of acrylic sheets from them. All i can say is you will definitly learn patience and self control trying to build some of this stuff. Well back to work.

And your just getting started.:mrgreen:Just wait till you get wet and all the cyano and hair algae sets in.:shock:
Thats when the self control realy comes into play:frustrat:

I found out I ws not good with fabrication so I took a different route. I am getting ready to drill my tank and need some ideas for the circulation in the tank. This is the idea I came up with but if you have another one please let me know. I am going to use two drains and two returns, will this be adequate for good circulation? I was going to put a current switch on the return also.

Nate

tanklayout1B.jpg

tanklayout1A.jpg

I drilled my tank today. Everything went well just waiting for one more bulkhead to get dropped off the I will be done with the inside plumbing for now. I think my DIY overflows that I made are going to work really well. I will post some pictures as soon as I load them into the computer.

Nate

Back