New Tank Build - Help Needed!

Ace5high

Reefing newb
Im considering upgrading my tank setup and keeping my 55 gal as a quarantine/secondary tank. I need some help deciding the best way to go and could use everyone's recommendations...

Im considering either a 90 Gal or 120 tank. I have space on my stand for either as long they are 4' long. What I need to consider is what fish can I keep in either one, do I have any options for some fish in a 120 that may be little to big for a 90 gal? or the same thing with corals?

Is a 120 much more to maintain over the 90? like larger water changes, empty weight if I have to move etc...Also, Ill need to consider some new equipment. Ill need a larger sump pump, but how big? A new heater, how powerful? Also, I hate to even think of a new scrubber... :grumble: but hopefully I can mod mine now to work.

And of course the big one... New Lighting 8-)

I have no idea what will be required by either the 90 or 120 far as lighting goes. I would be keeping a variety of corals. What have people had good results with for lighting large reef tanks other than VHO's . T5 + Metal halides im guessing? but how many of each and how powerful? Any input or successes with 90-120's please share!

I would probably go with the 90 over the 120 if you are planning to stick with a 4' wide tank. The key to keeping the fish that require bigger tanks is to give them swimming room, not simply water volume. Most of the active fish, like tangs, are going to require a 6' tank regardless of how tall it is. So if you go with a 120 you will need more powerful lights but you wont accomplish anything as far as capacity for larger fish goes.

90's are nice....biff's got a 90g....i think....either way bigger tank = bigger water changes. More $ for everything really. I'd say go with the 90g.

120 would be easier with more stable conditions. But everyone has their opinion *cough* 120 *cough* :D

I would probably go with the 90 over the 120 if you are planning to stick with a 4' wide tank. The key to keeping the fish that require bigger tanks is to give them swimming room, not simply water volume. Most of the active fish, like tangs, are going to require a 6' tank regardless of how tall it is. So if you go with a 120 you will need more powerful lights but you wont accomplish anything as far as capacity for larger fish goes.

This is a good point I hadn't thought about... and I really wanted a tang too :sad:

Im still kinda leaning toward the 120 though...

Come to think of it, I do know several folks who keep tang's in 90's and 4 foot 120's, and they are happy as can be... :sfish:

I have Tangs in my 4' 120 gallon tank! The fifference between the 120 and the 90 is 6" from front panel to rear panel. It may noe seem like alot but it is when you get started. The 120 is 25% more water volume, so an extra 5 gallons of water per change compared to the 90. Obviously, the larger the water volume, the more forgiving the system is with slight indiscrepencies.

Nice! I see you have 216 T5 watts and 2 - 250 watt MH's. Does that seem to be a good amount of light for your 120? I could prob use my T5's and just add the MH pendants if this will support reefs. Also, I'm concerned about the MH's using lots of power, will my electric bill go up with constant use of MH's?

I've just recently settled on a 120 and have been trying to decide on lights too... At first I thought I would need metal halide, but yesterday I was reading a thread here that seemed to suggest a 6 or 8 bulb T5 would be sufficient for many corals. Did I read that correctly?? Thread was here:
https://www.livingreefs.com/led-vs-halide-t32857.html
I thought I had made up my mind that I'd be going with something like a 6x54W Nova Extreme Pro or something similar in an 8 bulb. Or was I misunderstanding the discussion??

I've just recently settled on a 120 and have been trying to decide on lights too... At first I thought I would need metal halide, but yesterday I was reading a thread here that seemed to suggest a 6 or 8 bulb T5 would be sufficient for many corals. Did I read that correctly?? Thread was here:
https://www.livingreefs.com/led-vs-halide-t32857.html
I thought I had made up my mind that I'd be going with something like a 6x54W Nova Extreme Pro or something similar in an 8 bulb. Or was I misunderstanding the discussion??

Your kinda mistaken but also right about use of T5's I think... I believe in that conversation they are talking lights for a 40 gallon tank. In that case 6 to 8 T5's would be much stronger. Its all about watts per gallon, as far as I know anyway.

So 4 - 54 watt T5s' on a 40 gallon tank is twice the power than a 4- 54 watt T5 fixture on an 80 Gallon tank, or half the reqiurments I guess...

Im still not too sure what it would take for a larger tank like a 120 to support most corals. Right now I have 4 - 54 watt T5s (216 total) on my 55 gallon and my polyps, neon hammer and other LSP are in love with my setup for some reason. Whats pretty funny is that these corals were all under significantly stronger lights (VHO's) from the LFS I got them, but they really started to blossom in my tank!

Right now I wouldnt try SPS, Clams, or others under my current lighting. I really love the look of my T5's and I really would like to avoid the MH's if possible. I believe I would need probably a minimum of 8 T5's on a 120 just to support my current setup...

I wish some lighting experts would chime in though... :question:

Yeah... it's pretty confusing to me still. Lizardgi said that he had a 6 bulb t5 and his signature says he has a 125 gallon, so I was reacting to that. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually... and once I think i have it figured out I'll probably change my mind 5 or 6 times.

if $$ is no prob then go with the 120 . most of us common folk pick a 90 because the dollar difference between a 48" light and a 60" start's at around $400 so when you go from well, I'm sure you understand by now...

Ok so the plan was to have a 120gal tank built from glass cages with their Sapphire glass... HOWEVER one of my LFS was having a sale on predrilled 90Gal tanks for $200 clams!!! I simply couldnt resist... So a 90gal it is!

Which if you think about really was the smart move seeing that I was about to drop $700+ for only 30 more gallons... Now I just have more $ for and LED setup! Woot! :bounce:

Back