new tank cycling

flipstyle72

Reefing newb
Hi!

So i have a timing dilemma. I am leaving July 23rd to go out of town for 10 days. I plan on starting my tank cycle this weekend or early next week (Monday) with some liverock and live sand. The LR/LS vendor told me I should be good to go before I leave, thus my housesitter will have to not worry about doing any major cycling duties, just topoff and general maintenance. Then, once i return I'll add my critters/cleanup crew and go from there.

This sound doable or should i just wait till i return in August to begin the tank? I just figure if i can get the LR/LS up in running and get it to be stabile before my 10 day vacation, it'll have that much longer to mature.

I'm trusting what they told me but wanted some 2nd opinions...

Although everyone's tank cycles differently it does sound very doable. I've never had a tank cycle last longer than 10 days but it does happen. Either way your tank will be ready for a good water change upon your return. I would go for it as long as top off water is added while you are gone.

Although everyone's tank cycles differently it does sound very doable. I've never had a tank cycle last longer than 10 days but it does happen. Either way your tank will be ready for a good water change upon your return. I would go for it as long as top off water is added while you are gone.

thanks! we'll have a housesitter so someone will be able to check on things and top off. I didn't want to bother them with doing a water change though if possible, so it'll be ok for 10 days without?

What are thoughts on auto-top offs?

Since you won't have any livestock in the tank before you leave I can't see you having any issues. Your nitrates may or may not climb a little but water changes will bring them back down when you get back.
I love my ATO and the fact that I don't have to worry about topping off the tank every day.

Back