New Tank Help!

DanM1994

Reefing newb
I'm setting up my first marine tank at the moment and would like some advice on what fish to get! It's 4ft long 15" wide and 18" tall, around 40 gal (182 L) excluding the volume of the sump, I have no idea what fish or coral I could have living together happily in there! Or how many fish is too many in a tank of that size, any help & advice is much appreciated, cheers

I know I want a pair of clownfish with anenome (I know I can't spell that properly haha) and a shrimp and goby that dig a hole in the sand (I have no idea witch type of shrimp and goby should go together) but after that I'm stumped, would like a tang but I'm not sure about one in a tank of this size? Help!!

I know I want a pair of clownfish with anenome (I know I can't spell that properly haha) and a shrimp and goby that dig a hole in the sand (I have no idea witch type of shrimp and goby should go together) but after that I'm stumped, would like a tang but I'm not sure about one in a tank of this size? Help!!
Hi and welcome ! I am almost positive that a tang will be out if the question in a tank that size they all grow quite large and need tons of swim room. Clowns will be fine but you shouldn't put an anemone in the tank for at least 12 months. I have a tank of tangs. ( large tank) so I am not an expert on smaller species that you should look at. But there are lots of people on here who are really knowledgable and will help you I am sure ! This is a great forum to learn on. All friendly. & helpful. !

Hi and welcome to LR!

There are lots of options for smaller fish to put in your tank. Tangs would definitely not be an option. The pair of clowns will be fine as will the shrimp goby. I too recommend waiting on the anemone until your tank has matured.
Are you setting up a reef or FOWLR? Fish options will change depending on your setup. Four or five fish will be achievable but you must take your time stocking.

Back