New tank in cycle

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by brentolio21, Jun 25, 2009.

1. brentolio21

brentolio21

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to this and I am in the middle of cycling my new saltwater aquarium. I started it June 13th (2 weeks ago). Currently I do not see much going on but I do see little things coming off the live rock. It is only 22 gallons and will be a fish and live rock tank to start. Any reccomendations on good ways to get this going. There is live rock and live sand at the moment with a hang on the back filter. How many hours of light should it get? I usually leave it off until I get off work and leave it on for about 3-4 hours until i go to sleep. Is it better to run the light durring the day or at night? There is about 5-10 lbs of live rock right now. The light is a carolife, has the blue and white light. any suggestions would be great. Also when is a good time to start water changes/ change the carbon filter?

Thank You,
    Brent

brentolio21, Jun 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. brentolio21

Bifferwine I am a girl

Hi Brent, and welcome...

You should buy some test kits are test your water if you haven't already. That's how you'll know when your tank is done cycling and you can add an animal. If your ammonia and nitrite are both at zero, then your cycle is complete. Once that happens, you can do a water change or two to get nitrates down to reasonable levels (less than 20) if they're high.

The light schedule you're using now is fine, since there's nothing in it. For fish only, you can keep the photoperiod short. You really only need to be careful about lighting when you get corals. It doesn't matter when you have it on, but 3 to 4 hours a day in a fish only tank is fine. Most people keep their lights on for 8 to 12 hours a day.

Bifferwine, Jun 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question