New tank, input appreciated

Munch

Reefing newb
My wife got me a saltwater tank from a friend of hers and they delivered it last night from about 3 hours away. The set up went well asides from getting very wet and the horrible smell. 2 of the fish didn't survive the trip, a Yellow Tang and something with stripes (I forgot what they called it) plus a a black spiney ball (Urchin?) but everything else seems OK so far.

I thought I would post up a list of equipment and livestock and solicit your opinions on where I should go from here. I should mention that this is my first foray in to the saltwater realm although I did have a 60g Chiclid tank for about 5 years when I was younger.

90g glass tank 48w x 24t x 18d
2 - Emperor Bio-wheel 400
Jebo 180 skimmer
4 - Powerheads (2 currently in the tank, no idea what they flow)
1 - 48" light (I think fluorescent) that has smaller white and blue tubes
2 - Marineland LEDs with 6 white and 3 blue each

2 - Blue Chromies
2 - Clown Fish
1 - Sand Sifter (not sure if that's it's proper name)
1 - Brittle Star and maybe 5 very tiny babys
2 - large snails about the size of a radish

There are a few Corals but I don't know the names of them. Some are extremely tiny tubes with yellowish hairs coming out of them. There is a Plate Coral, some brownish tree looking ones and a chubby hand like one as well. I obviously have a lot of research to do.:mrgreen:

I don't plan to add any more fish until I have some practice testing / mainlining the water and get the equipment I want. I think I would like a sump system or something along those lines but again more research is needed.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or tips you might have regarding any aspects of my setup. I attached a few pics but keep in mind we put the rock in while the tank was super cloudy and couldn't see a thing. We waited until it cleared to add the corals and fish. I did go back later and build a cool fort for the Clowns which they seem to like.

aq01.jpg

aq04.jpg

aq02.jpg

aq03.jpg

Thanks!

Very cool! Welcome to the hobby. :)

If I would have known about your purchase beforehand, I would have suggested you ditch the old sand. Moving a tank is tough on the inhabitants (coral, fish, inverts, microorganisms) because when you stir up the sand bed you release a lot of toxins. So at this point you just have to wait and see. This is most likely the reason you lost the fish.

Like you said, you will also want to start testing the water for ammonia, nitrates, ph, etc. Get yourself some good (and new) test kits. Not the paper strips. Do some reading on cycling your tank because even though the tank was established when you got it, the move is causing a mini cycle.

Above all, have patience and do lots of research (including asking questions here) before moving further.

Ditching the biowheel would be my first step. Your live rock is doing what the biowheel does, without the negatives of being a nitrate factory. Doing some research on sumps is a very good idea.

Good luck!

Welcome to the site, Dennis has you covered. I dont know if you mentioned it but with the toxins in the water would be a good idea to be running some carbon in those bio wheels for now.

Thanks for all the replies. Day 2 and everything seems to be doing OK and eating but I've only been able to check salinity so far and need to run out and get some test kits in a bit.

The corals really are amazing in how much they actually move and react to the environment. I caught one of the chromis rubbing underneath a coral that my wife calls "the fat baseball mitt", they both seem to enjoy it. I was primarily interested in the fish but now that I have some corals of my own I can see them captivating my interest. Fun stuff!

welcome to the site, Munch! There are some great people here that will help a LOT.

Your story is about the same as mine, I bought a tank and moved it and am just starting out (with my wife) into this awesome hobby!

My wallet hates it!

If those are after the move pictures... NICE MOVE JOB !!!!

You have a great head start.. do get the test kits.. you need a reef test kit.. not just the salt water kit?

Back