new tank,need help to understand filtration system

OneFishTwoFish

Reefing newb
Hello,

as you may recall, I purchased a saltwater setup from CL. I need to better understand how the filtration system works, and the quality of the system, and the bio-load the tank can handle with its current setup.

This is a 90G tank with a 30 gallon sump. It has Berlin "25-250 Gallon Triple Pass" Protein Skimmer. It also has a homemade contraption that you put live rock in, and a twirly thing on top shoots water down onto the live rock. Then the water goes into the sump. Up top, there is PVC piping with has two openings, one near the bottom shoots water out. The one near the top I guess is the return? Also it has a variable speed propeller to make water movement, which can be put anywhere. I have it facing the return on the opposite side of the tank, so the water movement comes across the bottom from the left, goes up the right side of the tank to about 6" below the top, and then moves across from right to left on top. There is also a UV sterilizer, that currently is not hooked up. I have no clue how to. I think I am missing one hose, the other one right now just sits in the sump, next to the LR doojicky. I am seeding a bunch of LR in the tank right now, so none is in the filter....I will put it in in a couple months, when my dead live rock is re-seeded.

Oh, the lights are 65W Coralife lights, if that is enough info. There are 4 of them.
:question:

I have been told this is a "modified" Berlin system, and I have done some reading, and understand the basics of a Berlin system, but do not understand how my tank goes together, what feeds into what, the quality of the filtration, etc and what type of bioload I can establish. I am thinking I might want to go with a FOWLR tank for this one.

Thanks for any feedback!

Back