new tank new cycle?

jesse

Not That Kind Of Reefer
i have been reading other posts so i wont need to post a new one but im still quite not sure. i have a 14 gal biocube and i will probably be getting a 40-60 gal tank soon depending on what i can get. i have 2 small fish a mushroom rock and a couple of yellow polyps spreading on some rocks plus some crabs and snails.... the problem is that i want to know if i need to cycle the new tank again or what can i do?

i read this but still not sure.
https://www.livingreefs.com/upgrading-tank-10-gallon-20-gallon-t42262.html

Increasing to such a larger size will likely cause you need to cycle the tank again, going from a 10 to 20 isnt a big of a chance from going to a 14 gal to a 40 gal.

Look at it as a large water change...the biological filtration from the 14 gal will just be transferred to a larger tank with more added water. The livestock in the smaller tank is used to the bioload, do as long as you don't add anything else to the larger tank after the transfer, the bioload will remain the same, and then eventually spread to the rest if the tank...so, there really shouldn't be a cycle, and if so, it'll be a small one that your livestock should be able to handle. Make sure if you reuse your sand, rinse it very, very well so that doesn't kick start a cycle. Good luck.

well its a 14 gal that was connected to a diy ten gal sump so it was really kinda like a 20 gal to a 40.....so as long as i keep the things the same i can just mover them over to the bigger tank and it would be ok?

Yes it will kill all the bacteria in the sand. But that is a lot better then releasing all the detritus caught in the sand back into the water column. Releasing all that crud will cause a cycle that will be very hard on your fish. I would recommend using new dry sand and skipping the rinsing all together.

so if i use new sand and the same water and same rocks i could put the fish and coral in there as well or would i have to wait?

If you use the same rocks, and you keep them wet during the move, then you should be fine to add the animals right in. You need to be concerned if you have some die off on the rocks -- so if they are exposed to air for a long period of time. If that's not going to happen, then you should be good to go. :)

so im assuming that puting all the tank water in the bigger tank would be a good idea.... and how much flow do i need for a 40 gal. i know the more the better but i mean the minimum,

:happysun:biff i would thank u but it wont let me thank anyone,,, not even u mike so thanks for the info

Going from a 14 to a 40 I would use all the original water I could. You want your flow to be at least 25 to 30 times the tank volume, but more is better. So you would need to be pushing 1000+ gph.

3200GPH is a lot of flow! I have 6500gph on my tank which puts me at 25x turnover. I think that you would do much better with 2 500gph powerheads. We dont want a jet stream going through the tank! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Having several smaller ones will let you aim them in different directions eliminating any dead spots. And yes for the most part more flow is better. But going with 3200gph in a 40g will put you at 80x turnover. From what I have seen the only thing that would need that kind of turn over would be a heavily stocked SPS tank.

+1 kevdogg

Go with 2 smaller powerheads over one mega powerful powerhead.

Personally I would go with something like Hydor Koralia over that one in your link off ebay. Hydor Koralia's are very good, reasonably priced and also have a magnet to hold the powerhead in place instead of suction cups which usually don't hold real well. Two Hydor Koralia 750 would do a good job in your 40, that would give you 37.5 gph turnover.

Back