New Tank New Ideas

mojuave

Reefing newb
I am beginning a 75 gallon tank today and looking for fish input. I have spent too much money on dead fish for my other tank so this time research, research, research. So heres my idea, I will have a sand substrate with rock pile in tank center (tank can be view 2 rooms front and back). I want to start off with a beta and sweetlips( I know way too big as adult, but I figure many years before I need to find it a home). I want bright colorful peaceful active fish and really getting lost online. Hoping for suggestions on fish and I could narrow my search. I list a few I might want so input whether they are good or not will help me too. Thank you.

Marine Beta
Sweetlips
Red Mandarin
Yellowstripe Maroon Clownfish
Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish
Ocellaris Clownfish
Blue Eye Royal Dottyback
Purple Dottyback
Spotted Mandarin

This is just a very limited selection but always looking for something bright and colorful so any suggestions will help. :twocents:

Do you want all those fish? Different types of clowns are not going to coexist with each other, same with the dottybacks and mandarins. You will need to pick one type and stick with it. They will fight to the death.

Pass on the sweetlips. If you think they grow slowly, you think wrong. :) They are very fast growers. Stock the tank that you have, not the tank that you don't. And you don't have a tank nearly large enough to keep a sweetlips.

If you go with a pair of clowns, one dottyback, a marine betta, a goby and one mandarin, you have a good stocking list there. Keep in mind that the mandarin you buy has to eat frozen food. Make sure it is eating frozen in the store before you buy it. If not, it will starve to death in your tank.

Not my list just ideas I'm using that's why I'm here I appreciate your feed back and will pass on sweetlips. I have a ocellaris clown and black ocellaris in my 125 now I want to move to new tank. Those two swim eat and sleep together I swear they in love lol. I also have a clarkie clown in that tank as well. I have a refugium set up for. 125 that breeds copepods so food for manderian no worries I have a healthy happy blue mandie in tank now. I'm really looking for some help of fish to pick I want bright fish that don't hide just so many out there I'm going crazy.

What about a dwarf angel or fairy wrasse? There are some really colorful ones out there that are pretty active (I love my red velvet fairy wrasse). You could also do a tang from the Ctenochaetus family, or a chocolate tang (also called mimic lemon peel tang as juveniles) - all are rated for 70g and add nice color. I have a mimic tang and red velvet fairy, along with domino clowns (misbarred version of black and white clowns) and a chromis - the color combo of those fish together is stunning! I think you have so many options for colorful, swimmy fish for a 75! You could also consider a midas blenny - they are super colorful with great personalities :)

I'd also forgo the marine betta. It's a predator and will probably snack on your smaller fish. According to live aquaria it is also nocturnal, so you probably wont see much of it during your waking hours. If you are looking for a colorful and active aquarium, I don't think a marine betta is a good choice.

Back