New tank update....

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
Picked up the new tank, and although its not all I expected, I still think I got a great deal. Turns out it's only a 40, at least it only took 8-5 gal bottles plus rock. I also got a biowheel 350, a maxi 900, maxi 1200, heater, 36" coralife t5, and stand. Vaccuum, reef builder, calcium, etc. The livestock wasn't so great, a few leathers, and some GSP is all I really expect to make it, although one head of the hammer might live, everything else is pretty sad. Got about 8 or nine snails, four or five hermits, and one giant ass crab, that looks like a grey hermit. runs sideways, and is about the size of a silver dollar at least. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

I emptied out the tank, scrubbed the crap out of the glass as it was covererd in long hair algae. Scrubbed all powerheads etc. Filled it up, added salt and ran heads till salt was dissolved. I put the rock in as soon as it was done as I wanted to try and minimize its time out of water.

My only question is the live sand. I emptied it out and kept it wet in a bucket. I'm sure there is alot of life in there, but it was pretty dirty sand, alot of algae and crud in it. Should I use it in the tank, or put new stuff in. I don't want to start over as far as sand, but I don't want to cause myself problems either! Thanks alot

OK guys, heres the crab I found, I need someone to help ID.....She said he came with the rock and she hates it....lol

May2008069.jpg

May2008066.jpg

so is this in addition to the 46 bow? Can't help you much on the live sand, but maybe if you have a strainer you could run the sand through it and collect as much of the crud that you can that isn't permanent.

Rinse the live sand in batches in a bucket with mixed marine water. Remember the general rule for sand beds. Less than one inch or more than three inches. If it is coarse sand or gravel either do not use it at all or use just enough to cover the glass bottom and siphon it well with each water change.

Thats very similar to the crab that hitchhiked in with my live rock in storage. Now hes lost again. Will find him when I put the live rock in DT...I hope.

So black tips are bad why? I trust you all, but I like to know the reasons. Do they destroy coral, or fish as a rule, or both. I'm glad I didn't drop him in the tank then.....no wonder he creeped me out. My emerald is so less ugly, and thats not saying much!

a 40 gallon tank is pretty small for a trigger. I do like the idea of a lionfish tho. Can't wait to see how things go

-Doc

yeah, I thought it was going to be a 55, thus I thought I might get away with a trigger. Now I'm not so sure. If not, a lionfish will do nicely

Do like Fatman says, rinse the sand in saltwater. That will make sure that everything stays alive, but you can get some of the crud out that way.

I agree -- gorilla crab = bad.

A gorilla crab wouldn't be bad in a predator tank, but in a reef tank it would. In a predator tank, it'd likely end up as food for a trigger or something.

Back