new tank want to add fish

mojuave

Reefing newb
Well technically I gave a few just damsels but want to add more colorful fish. I have few small corals I don't really know what they are two tree looking ones a green grassy one that sucks in at night. Wondering what type of fish I should be looking for my end plan is a reef fish tank with many colors and characteristics. Any ideas you can bounce off me all help is appreciated

howdy, i'm guessing you want some larger fish - i have a smaller tank with smaller fish . My favorite is a PJ Cardinal, very colorful and will protect his corner of the tank. I'm sure some of the more experienced reefers will give you some more input.Good luck

Keep in mind all that I'm new and this is first tank but I saw a cardinal fish online once and it looked like it had three different designs on it and sectioned. Can that fish be a good reef fish? I want some smaller but also some like medium size maybe 4-5 inches. I have a 125 gallon if that helps

I saw a yellow tang and I really like it but was told need tank full of coral before that. Btw I added my first coral about 10 days ago. Is there a limit to the amount at one time I put in.

Tangs don't need a tank full of coral, not sure who told you that but they were quite uninformed. There are some really bright and beautiful wrasses that you could look at and most are pretty easy to keep.

Tangs don't need a tank full of coral, not sure who told you that but they were quite uninformed. There are some really bright and beautiful wrasses that you could look at and most are pretty easy to keep.

I am SHOCKED that you would suggest a wrasse... just... flabbergasted. :D

I like the Kole tangs... they're so pretty!!

I just read in another thread those damsels are mean and hurt or kill my other fish. I was really thinking tang and cardinal but from what I read the cardinal would be killed I want a peaceful tank. Should I get rid of damsels

yes, getting rid of the damsels is a good idea. The damsel name was some ones terrible, terrible joke, the are the devil in fish form

Ok so I'm looking at a yellow tang and a powder brown tang. But after reading I think I should wait and see if I could catch the damsels. Also looking at pink urchin and a condylactis anemone

the powder brown tangs are extremely difficult to keep and I dont suggest you try to keep on them until you are more experienced. Also nems are some of the more difficult inverts to keep this hobby and shouldnt be put in a new tank. They need higher than average lighting conditions, pristine water conditions and stability. Those last two things arent commonly found in tanks under a year old. That particular species also wont host clowns.

Back