New Tank

Well I filled the tank with fresh SW last night and today it was adding the sand. The tank is a just a wee bit cloudy LOL.

Photo_070206_001.jpg

Photo_070206_002.jpg

Photo_070206_003.jpg

I ended up going with 55lbs of Caribsea Aragonite special grade reef sand and 20lbs of caribsea alive.

Any suggestions on sand stirrers and other animals for the sand bed. I did read the helpful articles and have done some other research but was just looking for some suggestions as this is my first sand bed. I was thinking of some bumble bee snails and some ceriths and some nassos and possibly a sand sifting star fish or 2. What do you guys think?

Well the tank has been up and running for a week and with the combination of live sand and the sand from my LFS from there tanks the ammonia and nitrite spikes have come and gone. I am waiting on my new light before I start transferring the LR from the current tank to the new tank and then I will start moving the livestock over slowly. I got the larger pieces of rock in the tank from my local as what they call "Almost Live" I think it is just the stuff that didn't make the shipping :) but whatever. I also ordered a refractometer last night which should be here tues or wed.

last nights water tests came out as follows
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2
ph 8.3
temp 78
Calc 460
alk 9dkh

Photo_070806_001.jpg

Photo_070806_002.jpg

Photo_070806_003.jpg

Any other suggestions on sand stirrers?

Last edited:
Looking Great So Far. Stats Are Very Good At This Point. Each Time You Add To Your System You Will Need To Watch For A Slight Cycle And If You Take It Slow You Just Might Make The Front Page Soon Enough. (well If You Put A Back Drop In That Is Lo). Looking Good, Keep Us Posted.

Thanks for the kind words John (I kind of feel like this new project is somehow everyone from Living Reefs new project due to all the advice and help I have gotten from you all, especially you john)

I am expecting some mini cycles as the tank gets up and running, but I am planning on moving the livestock over fairly slowly. I was thinking a couple of the hardy corals and the LR they are attached to and the clown and then hold off on the rest of the corals for a while and then move those over. The yellow tail will not be making the transfer as he will be going for a little trip to the store. He will be replaced by a six line and then after that a Mandarin. I was also planning on a lawnmower blenny and then maybe a tang or a couple other wrasses, I have not planned that far ahead yet. I have a feeling my little clown will love his new home and he will also be getting a new little girl to play with when the time comes.

That will be all for the fish in the tank the rest of the bioload will be corals and inverts. I am still trying to finalize my list of sand stirrers and other inverts for the tank. There will be an assortment of snails and the emrald and blue legged and red legged crabs from the current tank. But I was planning on adding a sand sifting star fish and some bumble bee snails some more Cerith Snails some Super Tongan Nassarius Snail and one fighting conch.

snails will be fine and sounds like you have a good solid game plan. I would recommend to forgo the sand sifting star as it will rapidly deplete the substait capability of bio reduction and then starve. the little guys that show up on live rock that are very small are ok, but the larger sand sifters can be problematic for the system. you know my thoughts on crabs so no need to beat the drum again here. overall your plan seems solid, with a few tweaks here and there as it comes together you will have a great system. congrats.

Actually John I was questioning the star as well so along with your comments I think I will skip the star I will probably get one when I upgrade to a much larger tank I was wondering if a star would be a bit much for a 55. I like the idea of a conch and the snails, I will not be adding any more crabs to the system and as the current crabs pass on they will not be replaced with the exception of the emerald who has done an awesome job of keeping the bubble algae out of the tank after my little outbreak.

I am somewhat concerned about the move still as far as how stable the new tank will be and I don't really want to lose all the pods and stuff that have grown in the old tank would it be a good idea to transfer the CC from the old tank into the new tank and mix it in with the sand or just leave the sand alone to develop on its own?

I was also wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a better HOB protein skimmer? I have a seaclone 100 and it does fine on my 20 but I have a feeling it will not be enough for the 55. With the stand and everything the way it is there is no room for a sump so it has to be a HOB.

Mixing the substraits should be fine and will give your new system a boost. watch for the cycle when you add it though and just take things slow and you will be fine. put your animals in a bucket for a few hours while you transfer the substrait and rock to the new system, let the system settle and then add your animals keep temperatures and salinity the same and you should be ok. use normal acclimation procedures for the transfer for your animals and be carful not to put the animals into photo shock/light shock. keep us posted. happy fishin.

Thanks Brandon I will take a look

I got my light on Monday and the PC section does not light so I am in the process of contacting the support dept to either get a replacement to something similar I will let you all know what happens as it progresses. Everything else on the light works and the MHs are awesome but I think I will change out the bulbs that they give you free for something a little lower on the spectrum, the 20K are a little too blue for me I think and the PCs are not even running the the whole tank is pretty blue. I was thinking maybe 15K or even 10K I will have to go shopping and look around.

Just some updated pics of the tank.

I should have my Remora Pro on monday. And hopefully the light will be completely fixed by that point as well.

Photo_072706_004.jpg

Photo_072706_003.jpg

Photo_072706_002.jpg

Photo_072706_001.jpg

Well after what has been a really long strugle with aquatraders it appears that they will be giving me a full refund for the light. I will let you know as it progresses. I am looking at getting a used geissmann HQI unit the guy selling it says it has PCs but I have only ever seen geissmanns with T5s of VHOs. Any thoughts? It is 2x150 DE MHs and from what he said 2x96w PCs. Should be enough for the 55.

I had two 250 aquamedic oceanlights over my 55 with 14k bulbs and when I upgraded they were so flexible I didn't have to order new lights.

Something I would look into..

Brandon

d.french said:
Brandon is correct on skimmer i got the remora pro with rio 1400 nice quiet produced nasty foam first day i ran it.

Glad you like it... its really the only HoB skimmer that I would recommend of all the ones i've seen.

everything is going good with tank swap just got a little problem with red slime algae and hair algae, got some different kinds of cauluepra to put in hang on filter i got a big hang on filter that i use primarily for ceramic noodles but i'm going to make it a refugium and add cauluepra and other macro algae. supposed to work really good to keep phosphates and nitrate down. going to add one of those small clip on flouresant lights for little nano tanks on hang of filter to add light for cauluepra also do you think this will help with algae problems.

Well I didn't get the light from the guy locally I got a set of 250W MHs from a guy and was not really happy about it cause the ballasts are in an ammo box and everything is rusty and stuff but "If someone gives you lemons, make lemonade." So this is what I built today (with some...ok a bit... ok quite a bit, of help from a friend.) we spent about 6 hours on it. Under 50 bucks out the door including the mounting hardware. So the tank should finally be coming along.

Photo_082706_005.jpg

Photo_082706_004.jpg

Photo_082706_003.jpg

Photo_082706_002.jpg

Photo_082706_001.jpg

These are not the bulbs that I will be running for the tank my Girlfriend found a really great price on some Hamilton 14Ks for me (Now that is a great Girlfriend!!!) that will be the bulbs for the tank. The wood still needs staining and then varnishing and the wiring needs to be done right but it is almost done. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :^: :^: :^: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Back