New Tank

Well today I finished the light and hung it over the tank.

Photo_083006_001.jpg

Photo_083006_002.jpg

Photo_083006_003.jpg

Photo_083006_004.jpg

looks good, like the skimmer looks just like mine except if have rio pump. to bad you don't have more room on back cause on ebay i did a search for hang on refugiums and there are some by usa aquarium that are cheap it comes in pieces but comes with cement and rubber bands to hold together while you cement it 1/4 acrylic 25" X 4" X 12" for 45.00 got picks of it on back of tank in members photo gallery. Already had a light and a powerhead.

One of my Hamilton bulbs will not light on one of the ballasts. The bulb is fine and will light on the other ballast but when it is connected to the one ballast it just arcs between the terminals and doesn't lite. The old bulb that came with the ballast lights on the ballast fine but the Hamilton wont. Any help would be appreaciated.

well hard to say. since you know the bulb is good, the ballast is probably weak or of the wrong wattage. is the hamilton bulb the same wattage as the old bulb?. something to think about. I believe these units were used right. well I would suspect the ballast. even though the light will light on one ballast you may be underdriving it and the spectrum will not be as advertized and bulb life can be affected. or , overdriving. i suspect underdriving by the one ballast.

Yes the wattage are the same. The only thing that is different is the ballasts themselves are different. One of them seems newer and has a capacitor as the wiring diagram instructs. The other does not have a capacitor and the wiring diagram does not say to have one.

The light is all fixed and everything is running smoothly. Since the tank had about 2 1/2 months of cycling with live rock and cleanup crew and feeding occasionally to make sure the cycle was good and strong and then death of a couple very very large turbos tossed in to the mix just to make sure the cycle was really really strong. LOL. (that was not intended) The dead rock that I put in has is growing Coraline and is starting to look good and the pod population has already started to be quite significant. As I was moving the LR over from the other tank I was doing a FW dip of the rocks as they were moved from the one tank to the other. I got my Mantis shrimp finally but as it turns out it wasn't a mantis it was a pistol. I am amazed that a pistol only about an inch long could have caused so much havoc for so long. I lost my yellow tale and several snails to this little guy. But anyway he is out of the rock and the rock is almost all in the new tank. As soon as I get everything else done and the last adjustments to the aquascaping I will post new pics of the tank.

Kevin

So the tank is almost completely moved over and everything has gone well so far. I have not had a single casualty yet. (Knock on wood) Here are the new pics of the tank. I did get some nice coral from some of the local club guys for either free or really cheap.

Photo_091306_001.jpg

Photo_091306_003.jpg

Photo_091306_004.jpg

Photo_091306_005.jpg

Photo_091306_006.jpg

Left side
Photo_091306_009.jpg

Right side
Photo_091306_010.jpg

Thanks Brandon. I think it is coming along really well. The Hamilton's are great! The only problem I have really had is the skimmer uses a rubber O-ring to hold the collection cup at the right height and the ring is almost dead already. I would have thought that a polypropylene (spelling?) ring would have worked better but this is just a simple rubber one.

The tank is coming along nicely.Thanks for sharing the updated pics.Just an idea with your power heads.You want to get a sponge filter cover for the intake.When I had power heads my snails were constantly pluging up the water flow geting stuck in the intake and my sand sifter star almost lost an arm.Also anemones sometimes get sucked in and pureed.

I actually put those bulkhead drain coverings of them cause the way they came they were just open funnels and that was a little dangerous. I never thought about sponges as well. That would make the whole thing even bigger. I figured the slotted fitting I have on there would work. You all don't think so?

slotted things work ok as long as you don't have an anemone as previously mentioned... then you need a sponge for sure.

Brandon

Well things have been really crazy around here lately so no time to post or anything. I had 5 pages of new posts when I finally did get back to halfway normal to browse. The tank is doing really well. I have been really lucky to get some awesome corals from some of the local club members, local to me anyone. Just thought I would let you all know that I was alive and show you the tank. And ask you your opinion on a fighting conch that I got locally but that doesn't look like any pics of it that I can find on the web.

Photo_100206_010.jpg

Photo_100206_009.jpg

Photo_100206_008.jpg

Photo_100206_007.jpg

Here are some pics of the conch.

Photo_100206_006.jpg

Photo_100206_005.jpg

Photo_100206_004.jpg

Photo_100206_003.jpg

Photo_100206_002.jpg

Photo_100206_001.jpg

Sorry my camera sucks for close ups.

*Size - 4"
*Caribbean
*recommended large tanks
*lighting sufficient to support healthy algal growth
*food - Herbivorous. Grazers on all sorts of microalgae. May accept pelleted herbivore rations.
* Good grazer, harmless, needs a lot of open sand surface area.
*The fighting conch is not aggressive. It moves with a lurching motion and may hop if threathened. With enough food it will add up to an inch of shell length per month, reaching full size in about two years. It needs a lot of algae, only feed when on sand. Will not survive if there are other hergivores on the sand. often buries in sand for a week or more. Hermit crabs will kill them. Individuals less than .75" long often climb on rocks and aquarium walls. Hope this helps some.

I forgot to post my params now that the tank is getting a little older I am proud to say that they are as follows.
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Salinity 34
The only ones that I am not proud of are Calc and Akl
Calc is 360 and Alk is 6.2

Back