New tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the skimmer, are you going to have it drilled so you can add a sump? Or do you need the skimmer to hang off the back of the tank?

For lights, you could either go with metal halide or T5s. A 90 gallon tank at 25 inches deep is a little too big for T5s, I think. If I were you, I'd go with halides. But, you could still keep nearly everything with T5s, it'd just be difficult to find a 48 inch fixture that puts out enough power for it, so you'd be limited to keeping light intensive animals in the top portion of your tank.

and also I need to know what I need to get for everything...like RO/DI and everything for the sump and just everything...lol

i think lionfish has the 72" version of this lighting system and it looks good except the made in china part so be careful with that. but before you make your final decisions let other more experienced people chime in

Several people have linked to that particular light in the past, but I'm not sure if anyone bought it. I'd be wary of this:

"All sales final, no refund, no exchange"

Other than that, I'd say it looks good.

Aight I think ive got everything I need.. I think I have all of the ones I want down. I just have a couple of questions also to finalize this.
Tank with sump and drilled and reef ready and everything
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=OrderForm&sProdID=AQ_90Long
Lights
http://cgi.ebay.com/VHO-48-760W-Meta...742.m153.l1262 ( im going to ask Lionfish first though)
Skimmer
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+13924&pcatid=13924 (125 gal and going to be in sump)
Pump
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+4604&pcatid=4604 (1260 or should I do the 1262?)
couple of koralia power heads

Ok here are the questions. For the sump that glass cages will be providing what do i need to do. like put sand and liverock in the middle and do I need lights for that?
And is there anything else I need other than RO/DI unit and what RO/DI unit do you suggest?
Thanks guys...Sorry for all the questions too

Glasscage.com
Make sure you understand the warranty and trust this company.I live in the middle Tennessee area where they are located and they get mixed-reviews from the local reefers here.Poor customer service and warranty issues is what I hear the most.

I personally don't trust the cheap lights from Ebay.There's a reason why they are less than half the price of most reputable aquarium lighting companies....choose carefully.

The Coralife Super Skimmer is a good budget skimmer.A little finicky when first setup but works well once you get it broken in.

The Koralias are excellent circulation pumps.I recommend two model 3 which you can get at the two doctors website.You will need addition flow,more than what the return pump can produce.Either model Eheim pump will do,I personally would go with the larger version and put a ball valve to control the flow back to the main tank.

I have no idea what kind of sump Glasscages is providing.Is it a sump only or does it include a refugium?If it has a refugium than you will need either aragonite sand or mud 5-6'' deep depending on the sump and live rock rubble.Once the system cycles you can add macro-algae.Yes,you will need a light if you plan on growing macro.

Kent and Spectrepure makes good RO units.There's a Ebay store that sells RO unit cheap and it works well.I can't remember the name,Bifferwine has that unit and maybe she will chime in with a link or name.

Good luck.

Thanks

yeah im from Franklin but im in knoxville for college.

here is their sump
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=CustomPageSumpTanks
I asked Lion about the lights and he said he loved them, he got the same ones but a bigger version

oh and the owner of my LFS today said he would come over and help install everything and if I dont go with Glasscages he would build me a sump for a 90 they have at their store.
So LFS tank or Glass cages. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

So im going to get a tank from my LFS and im going tomorrow to check out prices and everything.
Im also going to look at a 125 gal because that would be amazing. The owner of the LFS makes custom sumps so that will be good. He also will come and help set it up.

The tank add does not show the size of holes for your overflow bulk heads. Make sure you have them drill at least two holes for the overflows for 1 1/2 inch bulk heads and for four 3/4 inch bulk head return lines. The standard "reef ready" 1 inch bulkheads are two small and two returns is not enough returns. The four returns and the extra capacity of two 1 1/2 inch bulkhead over flows give you the option of not having to use any power heads in your tank. They are unsightly, prone to breaking and keep their motors cool by passing all waste heat into your tanks water. I agree with what Biffer has to say about your lighting choices. Choosing T-5's will be cheaper, but it will severely control the placement of coral in your tank and severely limit the amount coral grown in different parts of your tank. Do not get VHO lighting. Reeffreak is the person to talk to about lighting for your tank if you do not want halides. Some corals and clams you will not be able to practically keep. Biffer has the best line on RO filters. The Coralife is a good skimmer for its price and the 125 is a good size for your tank as it is a bit over rated, as are most. I would, myself avoid power heads and try to get all circulation from the sump return, and closed loop circulation lines. I would get as large a sump as what I could fit under my tank and still have room for one or two external return pumps. If you tell glasscages you want to set up a SPS tank without power heads, and that you want all circulation to come from drilled overflow holes and drilled return holes and that you want a 30 times per hour tank turn over set up, you would probably get a system that does 20 times per hour tank turn over, which is pretty good for a general reef tank, but more is better.

So im going tuesday to check out the tanks. I have a paper to write today and woke up way late to be able to do both.
With the tank I want the owner of the store will make sure everything will be good. He has had a lot of expierence and is a really nice guy and he said he will help install it.
Ill defiantly take pics of the tanks they have so ill post them up.
I asked lion about the lights he has and he said he love them so those are the ones im going to go with.
Ill let ya know what the plan is when I see the tanks.

Just a word of caution, don't take everything that the fish store guy says as the truth. Unfortunately, we've heard so many stories on here of fish stores telling people that they "need this" or "need that" just in order to sell stuff and make a buck off of them. It never hurts to double check any advice you're given, as no one on here is trying to make money off of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back