new TDS meter

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
So I finally bought one of these, and yesterday it said my RO was 9ppm. I switched the 3 filters with new ones and now my TDS is between 27-37ppm depending on the sample. WTF?! Has this happened to anyone else? Do you think it could be some garbage in the line that just needs to be flushed? :grumble: If not, I'm trashing the POS and getting a purewaterclub system. Right now I have a Whirlpool 3 stage from home depot...wish I knew about the real systems before I rushed out and bought this one. :frustrat:

The TDS will be pretty high right after changing out the filters, like Dustin said. Usually if you let it run for a few hours, it will go down.

In any case, a TDS of 9 is just fine. With how bad Arizona water is, here anything under 50 is considered good. Technically, RODI units are *supposed* to get the TDS down to zero, but realistically, that rarely happens. I'd be happy with a TDS of 9 coming out of my unit.

Thanks Biff. I remember reading somewhere lately (maybe RC) that a guy had 9ppm TDS and a bunch of people thought thats why he was having coral health issues. This prompted my purchase of the meter, revealing my *own* 9ppm, so I changed the filters. Now after dumping about 20 gallons of RO, it's between 21-27. I have to start using it, as I am running out of top-off. I guess it'll be alright. What kind of TDS are you guys getting with your purewaterclub units?

Note: my tap water is ~360ppm

Your tap water is almost as bad as mine, so it's not surprising to me that your TDS is coming out at 9. My tap water usually reads between 400 and 500.

My Pure Water Club RODI unit brings it from 400-500 to around 3 or 4. I change out the filters when it gets up to 20 or so.

Back