New to forum. New to salt water.

bfg112

Reefing newb
This is my first post here. I joined so I can look around and ask some questions before I start planning my first marine tank. I've had fresh water tanks since I was a little kind. My current tank is a 120 gallon South/Central American tank with a Megaflow 4 wet/dry filter and Mag Drive 1200 return pump.

I have an empty 37 gallon in the basement that I think I want to use as my beginner setup. I will appreciate any advice and/or suggestions.

~Brandon

Hey BFG I know how this will play out...That 37 will get filled up, and late one night you'll wake up with a start and drain the fresh water out of the 120:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Welcome to the site

Believe me, I'm well aware the 120 would make a great reef. I've always had simple fresh water tanks with the largest being a 55. When I decided I wanted to take it up a notch and try cichlids the only tank I had at the time was the 37. So I got a juvinile Jack Dempsy and 2 Blood Parrots, knowing I would have to re-home them in a fairly short timeframe. I searched for deals on craigslist and quickly found a brand new 120 gal reef ready tank with corner overflows, stand and canopy for $600. I had to jump on it, even though I wasn't ready to move the fish yet. Over the next couple of months, I slowly built the tank buying one or two things with each paycheck. So, now for the past year I've have the chiclid tank that I'm very happy with and think setting the 37 up in the bedroom as a marine tank would be a good starter project. If the marine project goes well, my next venture will be stepping up to a 220 gal marine tank in a couple years.

Back