New to forum

rjones

Reefing newb
I have a few reef tanks 120,100,and 55. My clowns have been laying eggs for some years stared raising them off and on, my biggest struggle is with the rotifers crashing will it work to automate the process of rotifers and feeding the larvae?

Attachments

• ROTIFER AUTOMATION.jpg
    ROTIFER AUTOMATION.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 267
I have the ritifers in a 5gal bucket with air in the bucket just enough to get the water moving, used a seive to scoop them out of the bucket. But after the next batch of larvae there was not enough rotifers to feed them. I have three sets of clowns that are laying and automating the rotifers to feed the larvae would help out when i'm at work. So getting opinions to see if it would work automating the rotifers.

Automating the systems sounds like a great idea, but my question would be how would you automate the excess water to come back out the systems? In other words, how would you keep the tanks from overflowing, due to you pumping rotifer filled water into the tanks, unless you have the tanks connected to a sump?

Hello and Welcome!

Quite the setup you have there! Not sure how to help you, but I do admire the people take the time to do this

It's common to have the rotifer population crash and it can be difficult to keep them up, especially when you are trying to balance the phyto cultures to feed them. Most people keep more than one batch of rotifers going at once for this reason. If one batch crashes, they still have another to rely on. You can also buy live rotifers online and have them overnighted in case of an emergency. I think you need more than one tank of rotifers going.

Back