new to hobby--1st tank cycle not complete--what are these things growing on live rock

nipit8

Reefing newb
I am 1 week into my first reef tank cycle--still have high ammonia and some nitrites---0 nitrates--these are on a piece of live rock I started with-----any ideas??? picture 1 a possible feather duster??? pic 2 the object is in the middle of frame it is less than 1/4 of an inch in total size--pic 3 bad photo --will see if i can zoom in a bit

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,371
  • IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,314
  • IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,095
Last edited:
Re: new to hobby--1st tank cycle not complete--what are these things growing on live

Welcome to the site.
pic 1 is a feather duster, good thing.
pic 2 can't tell,
pic 3 kind of looks like some sort of paly but can't tell for certain, if it is then good.

Re: new to hobby--1st tank cycle not complete--what are these things growing on live

could those things live in that harsh of enviro?( ie hi ammonia and nitrite?)

Hello and Welcome!

All of those things are pretty hardy, they should survive your cycle.

1- i agree
2. manjo anemone. This is pest and you should kill it with some Aiptasia X before it spreads
3. looks like a red feather duster to me or some sort of red paly. I wouldnt worry about it

better pics hopefully

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 544

Yep thats a majano for sure, get some Aiptasia X on that sucka!

What are you using for substrate? Looks like the stuff you'd use in a planted fish tank. :shock:

nope--live sand--i thought it was different as well

Where that "live sand" come from? It doesn't look right. Usually mineral would give that kind of color, and that mineral will give you lot of trouble down the line.

Agree with Wes, where did it come from?

Welcome to the site...everyone has you covered.

I bought the sand in a bag at petco---it says live reef sand on the bag--hope its ok

you guys and gals already taught me a valuable lesson...Quarentine EVERYTHING going into my New TANK!!!

here is the website where I bought it..Live Sand Bio-Activ Live Aragonite - No Waiting...Just Add Fish! ---I says it is LIVE black Reef sand---Thanks everyone for the advice this site is AWESOME and VERY helpful!!

Just like what the pictures show you, they suppose to be white, black, kinda brownlish or somewhere in between. Any other color is not good for salt water tank.

What size tank do you have I would try to get your self some hermits and turbo snails
That we'll help your tank with the cycle and also a few starter fish to take the bio load down

Back