New to hobby and need help from the experts.

Plop9025

Reefing newb
I have a 100 gallon aquarium that I want to convert into a saltwater reef tank. I am wanting to buy new equipment for it ... everything but the aquarium. I am looking for some advice on good light that would not cost more then $200, and the other equipment that I will need to buy for this.

Thanks.

I don't think your going to find anything in your price range for that size tank. Your probably looking more towards $500 for lighting. Switching over to saltwater is going to cost a lil bit of money.

It really depends on if you are wanting to keep coral or have a fish only tank. Tell us a little more about what you are wanting to do with the tank.
Welcome to the site!

Yup, check out the articles. If you're keeping just fish, you should be fine with whatever light you want to invest in. But if you're looking to keep corals or anemones, you aren't going to find a light fixture that fits your tank for $200. Just ain't gonna happen. There are some less expensive fixtures, depending on your tank's dimensions. The Marineland reef-ready LEDs are decent, and for a 48"-60" fixture (they're extendable, but you still only get 48" worth of lights) you're looking at $350 or so plus shipping. Aquatraders also has a T5/metal halide fixture for about the same price. But that's about the cheapest you'll find for lights capable of sustaining corals and nems.

Back