New to marine - Type of Gravel and a few other questions

summitxho

Reefing newb
Hi there, I bought a 20 gallon tank a couple week ago with a penguin 150 filter and ordered in some live rock as well and hoping to get the tank cycling in a couple weeks. Basically I am wanting to set up a fish only tank to start off to see how I enjoy it with a couple damsels and a percular clown fish (spelling??). I still need gravel, a heater, a protien skimmer, Salt, and a Hydrometer.

My first question is what type of gravel do you reccommend? I would prefer sand because I like the look, but my LFS only carries crushed coral, is one better that the other? Does any offer benefits? I have heard crushed coral raises the PH? Would sand get sucked up into my penguin filter? What about what they call "live" sand?

Second question is a protien skimmer recommended? I am sitting on the fence about it, but if it will make starting off easier then its worth it, I am looking for something cheap for a 20 gallon though, I dont need a fancy one, will it still be very beneficial? What price range would a cheap one run?

My third question is for the size I have I was told I should go with a powerhead or a protien skimmer, I do not need both?

My last question is brand names, when buying a heater or a protien skimmer is there any brands you would recommend? Or do they all work well? I was thinking a submersible heater because it would be more hidden?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
Hi,Summitxho
Welcome to the forum
For your tank 1 bag of bio active sand would be my choice.Crushed Coral is pain(Most inverts can not move easily through it.Plus it raises nitrate levels)
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CS0790
20 lbs might be to much but it is a good price.I go with a skimmer they help keep the tank nutrient free.You could get a prism wich get the job done,but they are pain like most cheap skimmers.I saw them on ebay for $50.If you can afford $100 to $160 I would choose a CPR Bak Pak or Remora Aqua C.A powerhead would be useful to get flow pointed in the direction you want it.Maybe a maxi jet 400 about $12-$14.My experience has told me that most and hydrometeor are about the same look for good price.For heater I have been using an 1 EBO Jaggor 100w and 1 75w for back up.A 100w should work perfect for a 20 gallon.One recommendation seachem make a stick on ammonia badge.They are great to see when the ammonia is dropping off also some dip test will work good for beginning testing.Have a look at the articles section

I won't repeat what is already written but, do recommend a heater max. 75 watts for your 20 gal. as after rock and sand you will only have about 15 gallon water if that so a 75 watt heater will be plenty. EBO Jagger. they are reliable and perform well. also i would recommend a ground probe for stray voltages. welcome to the forum.

I would rethink combining clowns and damsels. Damsels are territorial and mean. I started with 3 damsels and 2 clowns and 1 damsel killed them all.

In a tank that size, they don't have alot of space to hide, and fighting will commence.

Even if you have to use playsand (made for sandboxes), you'd be better off than crushed coral, in my opinion. Rinse it well and bake it in the oven at 300 for 2 hours to sterilize.

Be very patient and get a good test kit. Make sure you've cycled well (I cycle for 3 months) before adding any live fish.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

Thanks for the advice, from what I have researched there is conflicting reports it seems on damsels and clowns getting along. Do you think it would work best if after the tank is cycled that I buy a clown first, then introduce a damsel, and if it they dont get along just return the damsel to my LSF? or is it pretty certain they would not get along in a tank that size? Also good to know about the heater, I never thought to minus the sand and decor for how many gallons I actually have. Also I bought some white carribean reef sand which looks really nice, good enough? 20 lbs enough? I ready 1 lb per gallon? Thanks again

For a 20 gallon system you should lean twards a theme tank. that is concentrate on a specific theme not a full community as you do not have the space. clown fish are members of the damsel family and use anemones to protect them, damsels are very territorial and have real nasty dispositions twards other fish and their own kind. put all this into a small system and you will have anemones eating your fish and a damsel raising heck, a formula for a real battle. I would recommend setting up for more docile fish and introduce only animals that can cohabitate in the same small space. as an example I had 3 damsels in a 125 gal tank and it was not big enough. until i finally got them out, and how did i do that, well with a volitan lion, ate all three and then I returned the lion to the lfs. so good luck. recommend you research a bit more before you buy. the sand will be ok that you have..

Excellent choice on sand. Is it enough? Only you can be the judge on that.

Damsels=feeder fish for bigger fish. :smile:

Remember-no fishies until after cycle is complete or they'll be floating on top. Expensive booboo.

Last edited:
Yes I still have alot of time for research, my live rock is still a week away, and then I have another 4-6 weeks of cycling. So from my understanding the damsels would be the trouble makers in the tank?, would a clown fish get along with a couple firefish? or is the clown also a nasty fish? Basically I would like to have one percula clowfish, then a few smaller fish to accent it and give me a nice colorful tank, is there any others you would recommend to get along with the clown that have nice vibrant colors? For a 20 gallon would 2 clowns and 4 firefish be too much?

Yes way two much.A pair of clowns and maybe one firefish or 1 other small fish.I have a 29 gallon.My fish are 2 small clowns(1 sebae and 1 ocellaris),1 small yellow tang(new fish the 1 yellow got to big so traded for this guy),and a Cherub Angelfish(pygmy).I have problem with nitrate with this total.

Summitxho!

Cool name I too am a avid Snowmobiler! I actually work at a dealership and are starting to work at an aftermarket sled company!

Nice to meet you!

i LOVE AQUARIIUMS TOO, AND i DONT THINK THERE ARE MANY SLEDDERS OUT THERE THAT DO. wELCOME!

Back