New to Reefing

rdahlke1105

I'm a girl.
Currently I have a 75 gallon tank that is sitting empty. I am in the research phase prior to getting the equipment for a reef tank. I always research before I start something like this or get a new pet. :D

Thanks, Bifferwine for the welcome. Yea right now I'm looking at the hardware needed. I have a spreadsheet going with the different hardware I'm thinking of purchasing, but I am going to be doing this a little bit at a time. I personally can't afford to put out a couple thousand at once.:)

Welcome to the site! Before you start purchasing things, you should post your equipment list here to get some feedback, that's what I did when I setup my first tank. I'm not sure what you're currently looking at but, you should be able to set up a 75 gallon for under a thousand, especially if you already have the tank (I just finished setting up a 75 not long ago).

Well actually its the lighting that is going to cost the most. But here is a list of the hardware that I was looking at.

ProFlex Model 3 Sump-1650gph
IceCap Reef Illuminations T5/Metal Halide Combo Fixture
Reef Octopus4: Pinwheel In sump skimmer (I know you don't really have to have a skimmer, but because I will be putting fish in it as well as other invertebrates, I thought I would be a good idea)
Big Digital Temp Alert THermometer
Fluval "E" Electornic Aquarium Heater
Hand Held Refractometer with Automatic Temperature Compensation
AquaticLive pH Controller
Penguin 66R Powerhead
Airo 4 Color Mix with 6V LE Light - up to 20 in. depth (not sure if this is really needed)

I will also have to get a stand, plexiglass cover and the assorted substrait. I will also be putting in live rock.

There are several areas on your list where you can save a bunch of money, if you're interested and willing to do some stuff yourself.

You don't need to buy an expensive sump. You can buy a small tank (29 gallon or so) or a rubbermaid container (I'm making a sump using that now) and just use some silicone and acrylic sheets to make the baffles. You'll probably save a $100+ dollars that way.
These lights are enough to keep any kind of coral, clam, or anemone and cost about 1/2 as much as the IceCaps Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 6X54 Watt, 48 inch
I can't seem to find the 66R powerhead what's the GPH on them?
you won't need that Airo light
For the live rock, to save money you can either go with Dry Rock and only buy a few pounds of live rock to seed it. Or, look on craigslist for someone breaking down there tank, you can find a lot of good deals on live rock and equipment that way.

I thought I would see if one of the local aquarium stores has the live rock for cheaper when I get to that point. In regards to the sump, I don't think I know enough about them right now to even consider building one. But I will keep it in mind when I actually get to that point. :)

I don't remember what the powerhead gph was on them.

One of the reasons I liked the IceCaps was because each of the light types are on a different powercable so I would put them on different timers.

Last edited:
When you get to that point, look at the DIY section here there are at least 10 people who have posted threads while building theirs to help.

Welcome to the site.
If Brian (BL1) is think what I think he's thinking.You can build your own sump for a whole lot less that buying a pre-made one.You can build your own for less than $100.Just need the tank ( what ever will fit under your stand ) a few pieces of plexi-glass cut to fit and some silicone.
You also wont need the PH controller unless you plan on sitting up a calcium reactor.And you wont need that unless you plan on a tank full of stonies.

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. Sounds like you're doing some serious researching and planning, that is a big plus in this hobby, and will take you a long way...along with lots of patience. :)

Thanks smitty. I was actually figuring that it will probably take me roughly 6 to 8 months before I am ready to even put fish or coral in the tank. If I am able to sooner that is ok and if it takes me longer, so be it. LOL

Well actually its the lighting that is going to cost the most. But here is a list of the hardware that I was looking at.

ProFlex Model 3 Sump-1650gph
IceCap Reef Illuminations T5/Metal Halide Combo Fixture
Reef Octopus4: Pinwheel In sump skimmer (I know you don't really have to have a skimmer, but because I will be putting fish in it as well as other invertebrates, I thought I would be a good idea)
Big Digital Temp Alert THermometer
Fluval "E" Electornic Aquarium Heater
Hand Held Refractometer with Automatic Temperature Compensation
AquaticLive pH Controller
Penguin 66R Powerhead
Airo 4 Color Mix with 6V LE Light - up to 20 in. depth (not sure if this is really needed)

I will also have to get a stand, plexiglass cover and the assorted substrait. I will also be putting in live rock.

Welcome to Living Reefs and the hobby.

I have some suggestions and thoughts on your equipment.I won't argue about building your own sump versus buying one.I will suggest that it includes a refugium chamber for nutrient export.

The lights look good.From the reviews I read on the Icecaps they are built like a brick.Good choice on skimmer too.I also suggest you use two smaller heaters instead of one bigger heater....just in case one fail.Are you using the Airo as lunar lights?They are definitely not needed but the choice is up to you.Many of us use moonlight LED on our systems.The last thing are the powerheads,for a gentler,wider flow dispersal,consider the Koralia Evo linked below...much better then the powerheads.Two 1050 or 1400 would be my choice depending on corals.

Water Pumps & Wavemakers: Hydor Koralia Evolution

That was one thing that I liked about the ProFlex, it has a place in the center chamber that you can use as a refugium. Or you can use it in a Berlin method.

I'm not positive on the Airo lights. I had it on the list before I found the Icecap lights. All of the reviews I've read so far, the Icecaps seem to be one of the better lights out there.

Welcome to the site.
If Brian (BL1) is think what I think he's thinking.You can build your own sump for a whole lot less that buying a pre-made one.You can build your own for less than $100.Just need the tank ( what ever will fit under your stand ) a few pieces of plexi-glass cut to fit and some silicone.
You also wont need the PH controller unless you plan on sitting up a calcium reactor.And you wont need that unless you plan on a tank full of stonies.

Thanks for the info on the PH controller. I wasn't planning on putting in stonies. I was leaning more towards the soft corals. Just like I wasn't planning on putting in any fish that need the stonies as a food source.

It's kind of a waste having all that light for soft corals.They actually do better with less light.Consider at least LPS corals and a maybe some of the easier SPS corals like some of the montiporas.

It's kind of a waste having all that light for soft corals.They actually do better with less light.Consider at least LPS corals and a maybe some of the easier SPS corals like some of the montiporas.

Thanks for the info. Now I'm not dead set against the hard corals, but I do seem to like the looks of the soft ones more.

Back