New to Reefing

Mine is black. It makes the color of your corals pop. Plus I'm thinking of glueing some GSP to the back...that way it can "swoosh" with my wavemakers! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the information. I was thinking that if I do paint it, I would prefer to paint it a darker blue. I'm not all that crazy about black. :)

I went to a LFS today. When the goy working there told me that it is not necessary to cycle a new tank, I knew I would never be buying anything from there. Especially not livestock.

I went to a LFS today. When the goy working there told me that it is not necessary to cycle a new tank, I knew I would never be buying anything from there. Especially not livestock.

I got one of those stores here. Thought the guy was a good friend til he offered me 20 bucks for my black and white clown. Thought about it, then went to my cousin's fish store and saw the same fish in there but a lot smaller for 85 bucks. I think I'll keep it and stay with my cousin's store.

I got one of those stores here. Thought the guy was a good friend til he offered me 20 bucks for my black and white clown. Thought about it, then went to my cousin's fish store and saw the same fish in there but a lot smaller for 85 bucks. I think I'll keep it and stay with my cousin's store.

Unless it's like an ORA black clown then $85 is way overpriced IMO. I paid 20 or 25 for my black clown at my LFS. And they sell online for as low as $35.

I was reading through some of the threads and noticed that some have had issues with fish jumping out of the tanks and that the plexiglass or glass canopies aren't recommended because of heat and gas exchange. Has anyone tried using the screens that you can get for reptile tanks? I used to have one for my son's bearded dragon and I was just wondering if something like that would work or if it would block too much of the light.

Those screens are made of metal aren't they? If so, they'll rust over a tank. You can use egg crate or the nylon door screen material to make covers for your tank.

as long as the holes on the plastic ones aren't too small I think it'd be ok. You want to try for at least 1/4" holes I'd say though, to let the light through.

Well, I have decided not to convert my 75 gallon tank, though later on I may still set it up, but right now I just don't have the room for it. I have gotten a JBJ Nano cube 28g LED. I purchased it through a local LFS that is really good, but the tank isn't going to be here for about a week.

I have ordered black argonite sand through marinedepot and I have gotten 20 lbs of base rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I will be ordering live rock through them as well, but I want to get the tank set up prior to getting the live rock because of the cold weather.

Once I have done the leak test and gotten the stand etc setup then I will be ordering the live rock, test kits, etc.

Thanks, Bifferwine. This site has taught me so much. I went with the LED because I have read that many who have the LED version are able to keep SPS and clams, but I know that those are way down the line.

My son has decided that one of the fish we need to have is a firefish. LOL He wanted a tang, but I explained to him that with the size of tank that we are getting a tang is just not possible that they have to have a minimum of 75 gallons. He also likes the gobies I told him that once we are ready for fish, he can pick one or two out but that we can not have anything more that about 3 or 4 depending on max size.

Back