New to Reefing

Thanks, Bifferwine. This site has taught me so much. I went with the LED because I have read that many who have the LED version are able to keep SPS and clams, but I know that those are way down the line.

My son has decided that one of the fish we need to have is a firefish. LOL He wanted a tang, but I explained to him that with the size of tank that we are getting a tang is just not possible that they have to have a minimum of 75 gallons. He also likes the gobies I told him that once we are ready for fish, he can pick one or two out but that we can not have anything more that about 3 or 4 depending on max size.

I'm really impressed that you have done so much research! It's refreshing to see that! :Cheers: Firefish would be perfect for the tank, and there are several types of gobies that are suitable for your tank.

dcantucson in about a week or so. :) I have to admit I am really excited about this. I have been researching for about 4 months now. I have a pretty big spreadsheet to keep track of what I want, where to get it and the price as well as comparison pricing. LOL

I will be putting together another spreadsheet to keep track of water quality measurements as well. Yes, I have a tendency to be a little anal retentive. LOL

I'm really impressed that you have done so much research! It's refreshing to see that! :Cheers: Firefish would be perfect for the tank, and there are several types of gobies that are suitable for your tank.

These are the ones I'm thinking about and no not all of them. Just chose a couple from them.

Flame Scallop, Blue Maxima Clam (needs estab. Tank), Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish, Yashia Shrimp Goby Paired with Red Banded Pistol Shrimp, Firefish, Green Mandarin, Blackcap Basslet, Scooter Blenny, ORA Indigo Dottyback

I've heard flame scallops are extremely difficult to keep alive in our tanks, there have only been a few cases of survival that I've read about. And I think in a tank that small keeping a mandarin or scooter blenny alive will be very difficult, because they will dessimate your pod population quickly. You're other choices seem like great beginner fish and good choices for your tank size.

I've heard flame scallops are extremely difficult to keep alive in our tanks, there have only been a few cases of survival that I've read about. And I think in a tank that small keeping a mandarin or scooter blenny alive will be very difficult, because they will dessimate your pod population quickly. You're other choices seem like great beginner fish and good choices for your tank size.

BL1 those two are the ones that I'm not even positive that I want. I'm still researching the scallop so I'm not 100% on it either.

My son is so funny though. When I told him that we probably won't even be able to add fish for about a month or so after we set it up...the look on his face was priceless. He didn't know that it took that long to cycle. Though I did explain to him that you can't add ANYTHING until after the cycle is complete.

Right now I'm trying to figure out which of the powerheads and heaters I want. I would love to have VorTech MP10 ES, but I just can't justify the $200 for one powerhead right now. I'm trying to find a powerhead that is similar in design, I really like the fact that the VorTech doesn't have the motor inside the tank. I figure it would reduce stray voltage.

On the heaters I'm thinking I'm going to need around 100W. I would love to get a ReefKeeper Lite, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the $100+ for it right now. I may wait until next payday for it.

As I said I already ordered 20 lbs of base rock and I have decided that I am going to get about 10 lbs of the Bali ALOR Liverock. I do realize that this ratio will take longer to cycle, but I'm cool with that.

You won't actually NEED another powerhead in your tank, I have the same tank and I got a small powerhead for behind the rocks but, it's not necessary. For the heater, 150W isn't overkill, I'm running a 250W heater in my nanocube.

BL1 have you ever heard of this brand before? I never have. Thanks for the info on the powerhead. I may wait until I can get the VorTech then.

BL1 have you ever heard of this brand before? I never have. Thanks for the info on the powerhead. I may wait until I can get the VorTech then.
Are you talking about the heater? I've seen them being sold on several online stores but, I don't know anyone that has ever used them.

Back