New to Salt Hobby

n2b8u

Reefing newb
Hi my name is Jeremy. I am new to marine aquariums so here goes. I picked up a 30 Gallon with stand, wet/dry, skimmer, pump, heater,and 4 36inch t12VHOs for 75. The guy had a hang on overflow box on the tank but when I cleaned to yuck out of the tank I discovered a piece of glass covering to drilled holes in the right rear corner.:Cheers: I bought to bulkheads and made a durso, bent some acrylic and made a overflow. Had a ton of old sand and seeded it with a bag of live sand. placed some dead rock from a friend and was given live rock as well. Let the tank run for 2/12 months with intermittent table shrimp pieces since the wife didnt like the smell. Now tank is up and running with 2 cinnamon clowns. Let that run for 2 months no deaths no spikes in nitrite and ammonia. Had a few heads of aptasia pop up got a peppermint shrimp and now its all gone. Weekly water changes and nitrates have been 0-5. looking at coral friend has many frags for me. Question I have is If I want to keep Zoas, hammer, pulsating xenia can I keep those t12vho(They are a little dull and need replacing) If theT12's will be enough should I replace with 1 actinic and 3 10000K. It came with 2 actinics and 1 actinic white and 1 white 10000K?

Or scrap T12s and get a 4-6 bulb T5 or a MH T5 combo. Of course money is a concern. Just want to get something that will work. I know its not an exact science and everyone has an opinion so please put in your $.02.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the site...I'd recommend a t5 fixture also. And if you can, try to shoot for an inexpensive led fixture.

Welcome to the site, T5 would be a good safe bet and not drain the bank account. I bought my 4 bulb t5 at aquatraders, its a knock off made in China unit but I have no complaints. For $106 is really cheap...anyway this is the third light set I have bought from them all on different tanks Oldest is a mh t5 combo 3 years old and still works fine. I also run a return pump, skimmer, and overflow box from them on my 45. I have never had a better looking tank. :twocents:

Back