New to Salt, new tank to me and questions of course.

DobermanPure

Reefing newb
So I have a new tank. 150 gal that has been established for about 2 years. Prior owners are moving out of state and needed to get rid of it. Its not the perfect set up but works for now for me. I am going to be upgrading a few things in the future. Like the HOB skimmer and a canister filter to a refugium. I have a protein skimmer.

Anyway, what I am trying to ask is do I have too many fish? here is my stocking list:
Kole yellow eye Tang
Orange shoulder Tang
2 yellow tail damsels
2 3 stripe damsel
1 Ocellaris
1 huge carpet anemone ( I kid you not its 12" across)
2 bubble tip anemone
1 big orange starfish
and a bunch of turbo snails and hermits.
300ish lbs of live rock

They all seem to get along but I do not want to overload my tank.

Current numbers are:
temp 79
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrate 0.0
Nitrite0.0
Salinity 1.026

Can't believe the numbers after draining the tank, moving it and 90% of the water, refilling it and re-stocking it, which I was up till 2:30 in the morning getting it all back up and running. Wow, I didn't screw it up! LOL

So, do I have too many live critters? I was thinking about adding some kind of cleaner shrimp and maybe 1 more tang. Opinions??

Oh you are nowhere near overstocked, my friend!

A good rule of thumb is 1 fish per 10 gallons. You have a ways to go. Although you have a few big fish, you also have several smaller fish too, so obviously if you had a lot of big fish, you'd overstock faster.

I think another tang would be fine, but tangs in the same genus as each other tend to fight. The kole is a Ctenochaetus tang, and the orange shoulder is an Acanthurus, so you'd want to get something other than a fish from those genii. The orange shoulder will outgrow a 150 eventually (believe it or not) but I think it'd be fine in your tank for quite a while. They don't grow THAT fast.

Here is a good page to check out your options:
Surgeonfish: Tang Fish, Yellow Tangs and other Surgeons

Pay attention to the required minimum tank size though, as there are several tangs that are too big for a 150. But most will be fine in that size tank. :)

Awesome!! I was worried I was over loading the tank.

Prolly the only other tang will be a blue tang ( its what the wifey wants :D )

I never knew the orange shoulder could get that big, that is good to know. Man you guys are great! Thanks Bifferwine!

Im gonna tell you right now skip those damsels. They are ... for lack of a better word. Big buttheads lol :)

Welcome

I would replace the damsels with chromis, still a schooling fish but waaay nice

However, looks like a great set up! Lets see some picks!

Also if you get chromis, make sure they are all roughly about the same size. Otherwise, things get mean quick lol trust me on this one.

OK, so I have been putzing around with the tank and decided to take a break and snap some pics. So here they are:

Attachments

• IMG_1889.jpg
    IMG_1889.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1891.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 344
Im gonna tell you right now skip those damsels. They are ... for lack of a better word. Big buttheads lol :)

Welcome

You ain't kidding, I got rid of one, working on getting rid of the other 3 stripe. They are complete buttheads! No wonder the LFS only wants $6 for em..... Now the yellow tails are ok and don't bother anything.

Back