New to Salt Water (Again)

So I've seen about a pound of Live Rock per gallon. Now is this what I need to keep it running good? What if I planned to leave one end a little more open since my tank is so loooong? Still need to have that ratio? Also how much sand should I have? How deep should it be throughout my tank?

1 to 2 lbs of rock per gallon is ideal. With a 6 foot tank, you can do a lot of different things with the aquascaping. If you want to leave one side open, that's fine. I like the island look with a passageway down the middle myself. I wouldn't have the sand more than 2 inches deep. 1 to 2 inches is fine. Rock is heavy -- 1 to 2 lbs can still make your tank look empty!

Remember, live rock doesn't just serve an aesthetic purpose -- it is also your tank's source of biological filtration.

Cool, ok well that gives me a good base to work off of and plan the tank out. I think the rock on two sides with the middle open would look good too. I'd like to have an open area some where.

My wife says I have to have it out in the living room now if its going to be a salt water tank, so I'm going to paint the trim from the light wood to black, and have my Grandpa help me build the stand for it. It'll probably take me a couple days to get that stuff done, then I get paid friday and I'll order my rock and sand. I already have salt and test kits and that stuff. So hopefully by next weekend I can have the water and stuff in the tank and going. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for all the help every one!

Welcome to the site Cottonwood. Looks like you've jumped right in. I'm almost ready to start building my setup, and the most helpful thing to me (besides hanging out on Living Reefs) was picking up a copy of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. It is full of TONS of good information. I think I've read it cover to cover three times, and I'm working on a fourth

Happy Reefing! :sfish:

Cool I'll have to get a copy of that. I love to read and am infact between books at the moment : ) so its a great excuse for a new book.

Oh and another questions...I dont like seeing the cords through the tank. So should I paint the back of it? Black? What have some of you done to keep the cords hidden? The tank is not drilled in any way, so up over the back and down they must go.

Most people paint the back of their tanks either Black or Blue. As for rock placement different folks prefer different things. I don't like the rock touching the back glass but many do. Either way will work. I do think the rock in an island formation gives your fish more swimming room.

You can either paint the back (probably your cheapest option) or use an aquarium background from a pet store.
If you do the island set up, make sure you still give your fish places to run away to and hide, it will keep them from getting too stressed out.

I recommend spray painting the back of the tank. It will only cost a couple bucks. Most people use black or blue. This hides the cords.

I'm going to move the tank outside and paint the trim and back of it Thursday afternoon. Then build my stand and paint it black Friday afternoon-Saturday if needed and do another leak test on the tank Sat. Then get everything set up dry in my living room Sunday. Can I add water and start the cycle without my rock and sand? Using fish food in the water? Then add the rock and sand when it comes in? Or should I just wait for the Rock and Sand.

I have a bit of Dry rock, and there is a guy in flagstaff (about an hour north of me) that I am buying about 20lbs or live rock and 20lbs of live sand from next weekend. Along with ordering more sand and rock online.

If I were you, before you move the tank back inside you should do a leak test. Better safe than sorry. Also, you'll have to wait till you get the sand and rock in, the bacteria you're trying to cultivate will live in those rocks and sand.

Yeah I'll prob do the leak test in the yard after the paint is all dry. It was holding water and fish when I got it from the guy, but you never know after moving it.

And I guess I'll wait then to add the water and everything until I have the sand and rock. I wasn't sure if the bacteria would live in the water too, or if it had to have the sand and rock to live on.
Thanks!

So I have a bunch of stuff set up. Its taken longer than I hoped but it was for the best I think, because its give me more time to plan things out. I'm looking at doing an auto top off. Here is what I'm thinking, any help would be great appreciated!

There is a RO/DI system under the sink in the kitchen, it feeds a spout at the sink, then the guy ran it across the kitchen to the refrigerator and it feeds that as well. We dont use much of it. So what Im thinking is...

Extend the line from the refrigerator over to my tank and have it go into my sump system. Is there a float that I could attach to this line to open it when the water gets low? Similar to how when you push the button on the refrigerator it opens then closes when you let go?

It seems like it should be simple...but I'm sure...

Back