New to salt water aquariums

squid

Reefing newb
Hello to all,

I got my aquarium last week and yesterday I filled it up with water and 34lbs of live rock. First time user, hopefully here to gain some experience.

65 gallon SW aquarium
Marineland C360 canister
Marineland 250w heater
Marineland 600 powerhead
Hydro 1050 powerhead
T5 light with LED

2011-08-15074203.jpg

howdy and welcome to the site..:D
I would get another 50 pounds of rock wether it be liverock or dry( I would get dry for the rest and save some money)..here is a good place to get dry...MarcoRocks Aquarium Products - Dry Rock
and I would get rid of the cannister filter and get a good protein skimmer .. reef octopus makes a good skimmer..Protein Skimmer, Protein Skimmers, Aquarium Marine Reef Foam Fractionators
the cannister will be a problem for you down the road.. It becomes a nitrate factory if it is not cleaned every few days..
just curious what the t-5's are?
good luck and ask as many questions as you can...:sfish:

Last edited:
I would get another 50 pounds of rock wether it be liverock or dry( I would get dry for the rest and save some money)..here is a good place to get dry...MarcoRocks Aquarium Products - Dry Rock
and I would get rid of the cannister filter and get a good protein skimmer .. reef octopus makes a good skimmer..Protein Skimmer, Protein Skimmers, Aquarium Marine Reef Foam Fractionators
the cannister will be a problem for you down the road.. It becomes a nitrate factory if it is not cleaned every few days..

thanks for the advice, I got the canister because it came as a package with the aquarium.

the T-5, is what I guess they are called here which is the light.

Hello, and welcome :D

I would recommend adding more live rock until there is about 1 to 2 pounds per gallon.(Get base rock, because regular or premium rock can get expensive- I spent almost $250 on LR for 29 gallons.) I also would recommend tossing the canister filter, unless you can clean it every day. Also, get a decently sized protein skimmer.

P.S. I also have the Marineland 600 circulation pump. :D

Thank you.

The T5 is the light, i dont know if that is the correct terminology.

Hello, and welcome :D

I would recommend adding more live rock until there is about 1 to 2 pounds per gallon.(Get base rock, because regular or premium rock can get expensive- I spent almost $250 on LR for 29 gallons.) I also would recommend tossing the canister filter, unless you can clean it every day. Also, get a decently sized protein skimmer.

P.S. I also have the Marineland 600 circulation pump. :D

I honestly dont know what type of rock I got. its the only one that is sold near my home. I spent in total about $152.00 on LR. I am thinking of getting about a couple of more pounds or even some dry rocks because of the price, but I really dont know too much the difference.

Welcome to the site...just a suggestion, but you can hang on to the cannister filter and you can use it for emergency by running carbon, or just for a good water polish once in a while...just be sure to clean it after use. I got rid of mine and wish I kept it for that reason. Otherwise, lotsa rock, good flow, and a protien shimmer is all you need...ask away, the folks here know their stuff...

it looked like a 2 bulb fixture which was why I asked.. you will only be able to keep mushrooms and some zoas under those lights..I would look into getting a 4 bulb when you can or want to keep other corals or even an anemone..

Welcome to the site...just a suggestion, but you can hang on to the cannister filter and you can use it for emergency by running carbon, or just for a good water polish once in a while...just be sure to clean it after use. I got rid of mine and wish I kept it for that reason. Otherwise, lotsa rock, good flow, and a protien shimmer is all you need...ask away, the folks here know their stuff...

Thank you for teh advice, at the moment cash is a little tight once I get my credit card paid ill start adding more components. BTW, the protein skimmer I am guessing its not just for corals, it has another function correct?

it looked like a 2 bulb fixture which was why I asked.. you will only be able to keep mushrooms and some zoas under those lights..I would look into getting a 4 bulb when you can or want to keep other corals or even an anemone..

For no the two buld light is going to be untill I can buy a bigger light. But sooner or later I will upgrade.

Looks good mate, but is it just me, or does that look smaller than a 65?? :?

Its a 65, I filled it up with 55 gallons of water with ~62lbs of LV and 100lbs of Live Sand, it does look rather small, but for being my first aquarium its great.

Welcome to the site.

Thank you!

Back