new to salt water tanks

German_Rose

Reefing newb
hey everyone. I am new to both salt water tanks and this site. I never really had to go through the start up process with my tank. I actually got my tank form my brother in law when he moved out. He took his 55 gallon tank but left his 30 gallon. My tank was started with salt water from an already established tank and came with everything for a starter tank. In the tank I have a gold tail damsel, a sand sifting star fish, a shrimp (not really sure what kind), a snail, and a hermit crab. When I first took over this tank you couldn't tell anything was living in it because the damsel never came out. Since taking over the tank I have manged to get all the living rock and sand arranged so that all the critters are happy and the Damsel stays out until the light is turned off at night. The tank was neglected by both my brother in law and my boyfriend, who also has a 55 gallon salt water tank. Since getting the tank I have add 5 new snails and am hoping to add a pair of maroon clowns soon. Once I gain some more experience I will be adding a Dwarf zebra lionfish. I have already done all my research about adding him to my tank and know that I can't have any fish that will fit in his mouth that is why he is going to be the last fish that I will add.

hopefully by the time I am ready for the dwarf loin he will be added into a 55 gallon. the 30 gallon is my tank and the 55 gallon is my boyfriend's. The clowns will be added to the 30 gallon

so I know it has been a little while since I posted anything about my tank. Well here is the update. My boyfriend and I have decided to do a reef tank (where he has a lot of experience). He wanted me to do a reef tank from the beginning but instead of pushing me he let me decide to do it on my own. My tank I now have two pieces of coral on is a purple star polyp on a live fuji rock and the other is some sort of green polyp live coral ( I didn't purchase these as frags they are both $50 plus pieces that are as big if not bigger then my hand.) Also there is now an Ocellaris clown fish, a purple tip anemone, and a Hawaiian feather duster. I no longer have the damsel because he had an unfortunate run in with the anemone. Everyone is doing fine and is thriving.

Back