New to Salt Water

lstrasbu

Reefing newb
I am new to salt water, have had fresh water aquariums for years but decided to swithch to salt.
I have a BioCube 29 and only have live rock and a few fish so far, today I noticed that my Neon Gobie looked weird, wondering if this is ICK?
I have been looking for pictures on the web but can only find the little white spot pictures.

Attachments

• gobie.jpg
    gobie.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 281
I just noticed it today, sometimes I don't see him, he likes to hide, had him for about 2 weeks.
29 Gallon BioCube, everything pretty much standard, tank has been up for about 8 weeks.

Do you have any inverts or corals? If you get a positive ID, depending on what it is, you might be able to treat the tank he is in. Never use copper in your main display.

Kinda looks like it started as fin rot and then spread everywhere...

I don't know that hypo will affect a fungus, will it?

Hypo doesn't do much for fungal infections.

hypoOSTtherapyart.htm

Best bet for him is setting up a QT. If you are unable to do that, call around and see if you have any LFS in the area who are willing to take him in and treat him for you. Fungus won't go away on it's own.

I use to have a biocube myself and i couldnt get away from trates at all. I stayed at 20ppm with 2g w/c every day for 3 months on a 14g. I am not a big fan of those biocube all in 1 systems. Its to good to be true.
If you want to keep that system going for long term, i would get better fans (more cfm's) and drill holes where you can to get air across the water. If you notice the amount of salt creep on the lighting cover, this is a great indication that the gas exchange is terrible. Leaving the feed door open also helps.
I wish i had a positive experience with it, but i didnt. It seemed like i spent more money to upgrade flaws i seen and lost money on being able to stock corals in it. Good luck with your journey and keep me posted.
Ps. Sorry for your loss

Back