new to saltwater

okay just ordered some powerheads koralia 4's and will get some rock..now another question the couple of peices of rock that were live rock now have like a brown algae on them what does that mean?

Sounds like algae and the beginning of a tank cycle. Follow the advice of the more experienced. From my experience the only bad happens fast in this hobby. Power heads and LR are the best start. Sand is up for debate. Even here... Some like a deep bed, some a very shallow bed and others like it somewhere in the middle. My 2 cents is go with what you think looks good but if you opt for less sand make up for it with rock.

You should make a skimmer another near future purchace. Also an item you need ASAP is a good test kit. You will want to test PH, nitrate, Nitrites, Amonia (sp?) and phosphates at the bare minimum.

Good luck and welcome. You have found the spot for help can't wait to see pics of your "SLOW" progress. Don't rush it...

Joe

there are several good skimmers. however, they can be pricey. It sounds like you have a tight budget. If I have surmized wrong I am sorry. Look at the AquaC, the Octopus and EShoppes. I suggest searching the different discussions in this forum. There have been several very good pro/con comparisons. I believe the main points for consideration are price, size and location. Price is obvious, I undestand staying on budget is important. Size depends on your tank and sump volume as well as the next item, location. If you need a HOB or submersable. If you get stuck ask questions. Someone will jump in to assist.

i have looked at them..but not sure what kind will work for my tank....when you sump or hob? can i put it in my wet/dry filter box? i kinda have a tight budget right now because of work has slowed down.but i also dont want to buy something that isnt going to work for my tank..everything i have read so far and people are telling me is to go slow...with the tank process?

Back