New to Saltwater

JohnDoe

Reefing newb
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums and saltwater tanks in general. I used to have freshwater fish, and just started two new freshwater tanks. I have always loved the looks of the saltwater fish, but I understand that they are much more difficult to maintain. I will post my idea for a first tank in the "New to Reefing" section of the forums, and hopefully someone can help me. :D

Hello and welcome to the site..glad to have you. Lots of people look at saltwater as more intimidating than freshwater, I used to also, but its just as easy, but waaaaayyyy more interesting and fun. Feel free to ask questions, that's how we all have learned. :)

I think salt is easier in the long run, but a little more expensive, well, the light can be. My tank has been stable for some time now running on the sump with minimal expense at all. Live rock, a skimmer and a good light are the big ticket items over fresh, but factor in I used to run two Eheims at about $160 each and I cover half of the other stuff. Plus salt is so much cooler and a challange. The corals alone start as $20 frags and just grow. Now even I am fragging and swapping. It's just a cool hobby. And it's a real conversation piece in the house and a real, proven stress reducer.

Welcome to the site John.
The biggest difference between salt and fresh,is the price of start up.:D and you have to more aware of the livestocks needs.

Welcome to living reefs! I agree that the complexities of a SW tank are not that much different from a FW tank, but the equipment costs more to get going, and you will need to dedicate some time to researching the specimens that you'd like to add to your tank. There are many compatability issues that you will need to be aware of in terms of feeding requirements, swimming room, hiding places, and species schooling/aggression. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum that are more than happy to help you make confident and competent decisions about your little slice of the ocean. Don't be afraid to ask!

Back