new to saltwater

masterjjh

Reefing newb
hello all!
ive kept various cichlids for many years now and I am slowly gathering equipment to start my first reef.

i currently have a 72 gallon bowfront, one of two emp. 400s and a heater.

please give me some expert tips...any are welcome and much appreciated!:D

id ditch the hob filter and get a hob protein skimmer or look into building a sump with ether a skimmer or scrubber with a fuge if you can fit it.

i only use the emp because they are quick and simple to service, move alot of water and biowheels.
i also was going to get a protein skimmer as well.
i still have a good bit of equipment to get...korolias and such

With salt water you would need to change the filters every couple days, and it can be detrimental if you don't. I'm with pwny. Don't even bother with it. It's more hassle than help.

how bout a stocklist???

my choices include:
lionfish?
clowns?
wrasse?
clown trigger?
mandarin goby?
flame angel?
blue hippo?
yellow tang?
corals...love the feather duster?
anenomes?

The filters would catch all the waste/extra food from the fish. It would decompose in the filters/floss and send the nitrates and nitrites back into the water column. Skimmers and scrubbers remove them from the water entirely.

saltwater is diffrent then fresh as long as you have 1-2 lbs of rock per gal of water (live rock acts as a form of bio filter) and skimmer (for a reef normaly 2x the water volume) that will be all the filtation you need. If you want to save some money on live rock you could get say 50 lbs of dry rock from macro rock or tbs and then 20 lbs of live rock from a local fish store or offline.

- as far as stock lionfish would eat clowns most likely
- wrasse's are fine just make sure your getting a type thats reef seaf some arnt.
- mandarin is not a fish id start a fresh tank with do some research on them they are hard to get to feed
- a tang would be fine in a 70 maby someone else will tune in on this but id stick to 1 for a 70
- normaly people dont put anenomes in tanks under a year old they can be hard to keep and need strong light also if the die in your tank there is a good chance they will kill everything
- clowns and flame angels are reef safe
- feather dusters arnt coral they are a kind of worm and do great in reef tanks

- as far as corals it really depends on what light you have for most of them starter corals are soft/zoas . as far as a light t5 and metal halide are most commenly use sometimes a mix of both you want to have 4 wats per gal so for you that 288. fish need it;lights; food;Sponge has some good lights or you can look around at diffrent places

Last edited:
there you are!

with my other tanks i do water changes every week, and change or rinse the floss with the change. i also plan to buy a protein skimmer and i have not a clue as to what a scrubber is...

what if anything on my stocklist would work together in a 72 bow?

I'll chime in on the tang thing.
A blue hippo needs at least six feet of swimming room. A yellow tang would be okay.
I agree about the mandarin. You need to give your pod population (little bugs the mandarins eat) time to get large enough to support the eating habits of the mandarin.
Flame angels are 50/50. I had one that never went after any corals, but I know some people on here have had them eat stuff.
I also agree about the lionfish. It would eat anything that would fit in it's mouth.
A clown trigger needs at least 125 gallons. They will also eat all your inverts.

A basic rule of thumb for saltwater stocking is one (small) fish for every ten gallons.
So seven small fish.

1-2 clowns
1 wrasse
1 flame angel
1 tang
from your stock lish i think would be a good start after the tank is cycled with live rock in it (adding the live/dry rock can cause a cycle). normaly as a rule of tumb 1 fish for ever 10 gal so that would give you room to pick and get 1-2 more down the line

Last edited:
okey cool...like i said i have alot od research still to do.

i have cared for various cichlids for almost 10 years and i am not the kind to just jump into anything.
and i certainly am not into intentionally killing any animal due to my own ignorance.

my babies now are very healthy, colorfull, all fins intact and get along very well which is tough to say with africans, i have a frontosa thats older than my kids(8 yr old girl and 10 yr old boy) so im not a novice but admittedly naive when it comes to saltwater.

anyway thank you for the insight and im sure i will be back looking for more comments from people who know more than me.

im working tonight 7p-7a so im gonna hit the sac.

thanks again for your time

john

Welcome to the site....IMO,and IME,,,the emp bio wheel filters arefine....i used 2 of them for 4+ years and never had a skimmer...keep up on them and they won't let you down..

Back