New to Saltwater

You may have evaporation without the hood on but, keeping it on is just raising the temp more by not letting the heat escape. MH lights aren't as bad with heat as everyone thinks, both my tanks run MH lights and I don't have any temp spikes during the day. If you want to stay with T5 lights these are good, 48 in. Nova Extreme Pro T5 HO Lighting Fixture - (6) 54 watt lamps | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com These lights will also work on tanks up to 100g if you decide to upgrade down the road. There are other options you could choose from this site Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping! as well.

You may have evaporation without the hood on but, keeping it on is just raising the temp more by not letting the heat escape. MH lights aren't as bad with heat as everyone thinks, both my tanks run MH lights and I don't have any temp spikes during the day. If you want to stay with T5 lights these are good, 48 in. Nova Extreme Pro T5 HO Lighting Fixture - (6) 54 watt lamps | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com These lights will also work on tanks up to 100g if you decide to upgrade down the road. There are other options you could choose from this site Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping! as well.

Do you recommend I purchase a glass canopy as well? On the first link it says glass canopy recommended.

Also, on that particular light, it shows that it is 12 inches wide. Is that meant for a tank that is much wider than mine? My tank is only 12 inches wide and I have a power filter and protein skimmer hanging on the back.

Thanks for all the help. I wouldn't have any idea what to do without it.

No, I don't recommend glass tops. The lights come with splash guards to protect the bulbs.

Bifferwine, thanks for your reply. As I mentioned all help is very appreciated. I am in a bind here.

I checked on that lighting that was recommended (https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/239340/i/1/product.web) and the FAQ says the following:
Yes. A glass or acrylic top between the fixture and the water is necessary for use with any Current-USA fixture.

What do you think about that? Do you really think it is really necessary?

Unfortunately, that 4 wpg rule is a very generalized rule. This is why, 100w of MH is stronger lighting then 100w of T5, but both of those are stronger then 100w of power compacts. Those lights you posted are Power Compacts (PC) and wouldn't have the light output you'll need to keep hard corals.

Bifferwine, thanks for your reply. As I mentioned all help is very appreciated. I am in a bind here.

I checked on that lighting that was recommended (https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/239340/i/1/product.web) and the FAQ says the following:
Yes. A glass or acrylic top between the fixture and the water is necessary for use with any Current-USA fixture.

What do you think about that? Do you really think it is really necessary?

I don't know why they would say this. I think it's just to cover their asses.

Back