New to Saltwater

Kevin

Reefing newb
Hi everyone, I have just inherited a 120 Gallon saltwater setup. I used to have a 75 Gallon freshwater with Oscars and grew them quite large and got pretty good at it, my tank was always prestine. I had to sell everything due to job loss and kids to feed 10 years ago. I picked up a used setup this weekend and I am excted to get going. I am trying to figure out the sump setup plastic L shape on the left with square plastic grills and one with perferated holes to trickle onto a biowheel? This is attached to a 30 gallon tank on the right. There is a protein skimmer, pump and the tank has 4 drilled holes along the bottom back. I will post pictures soon with the hopes of someone helping me out :) I am having problems figuring out the connection between the plastic container and the 30 gallon aquarium. The hse was cut and there is only a threaded fitting at each end, how are the hoses secured?

There is a lighting ballast with a 20,000K and two 14,000K metal hilide (sp?) bulbs as well as two Coral life Actnic bulbs as the transformers to power them and the ballast is ventilated with a fan.

Thanks for any possible help and guidance in advance, it is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

I am terrible with equipment stuff, but can you post a picture of what you are talking about with the drains?

And do you know the wattage of the metal halide bulbs? Could be very nice setup depending on that.

The bulbs are 175 Watt, one is burnt out. I tested them out to see if they worked; I got quite the surprise when snap crackle pop and sparks everywhere! Turns out there was a coroded wire and it shorted out to the steel casing must have been initially too close to the tank.
I will post pictures as soon as I get home. I am a little concerned about the flooding possibility, that is a lot of water and my kids bedrooms are in the basement under the tank. There are pillars or colomns that rise from the bulk heads to the top of the tank, I am assuming if there is a power outage once the tanks water level drops bellow the said columns opening the water stops flowing to the sump?

yep, so you need to make sure the sump is large enough to handle that volume of water.

And i dont think that light is going to be good enough to keep corals, even if both bulbs were working.

I will be replacing them all. Three Metal Halide bulbs at 20,000K, 14,000K, 14,000K and two flourecent Actnic bulbs would not be enough?

Thanks Lionel, I will post pictures at some point and hope that you guys can help me out.

Thanks again!
Kevin

Thanks,
I agree, it's a monster! I've been worrying about the weight on the floor; have you had to take any precautions? I see you have a 100 gallon. I can't imagine what the scene would be like if it colapsed, what a mess and loss.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have been busy all day trying to figure this sump scenario out. I got some PVC at home depot and started plumbing; Here are some pictures will this siphon? Due to fitting sizes it ended up being alot lower in the stand than I wanted but everything will fit. I am having a hard time figuring out how I can connect the pump to the PVC and how to connect the hose from the intake to the bio wheel. The 30 gallon aquarium is not in the stand yet.

Here they are, thanks again little_fish.

553584_10150932618890771_652944136_n.jpg

530213_10150932618630771_2038708299_n.jpg

428836_10150932618730771_542184139_n.jpg

405465_10150926588300771_531498271_n.jpg

391420_10150932618515771_1120958581_n.jpg

576047_10150932618800771_688767038_n.jpg

I am stuck at figuring out hot to make the down flow intake connection and from the pump to the return, there is a considerable reduced fitting needed and i'm not sure I can find that.

The PVC is much lower in the tank that I wanted but they apparentl do not make 1 1/4 in adapters in PVC but in ABS only so, I have to use many adapters to acheive my connections. They 30 gallon tank is not in the stand yet, but the PVC will be run inside it (sealed and isolated) from the actual water in the tank.

I was thinking of using carbon in a custom setting where water from the tank will trickle through before the protein skimmer.

Any advice you guys have is greatly appreciated.

Alas, i have no idea how to help. I am plumbing retarded. If someone doesnt help you by the end of the day, i would pm BJ, he is very good with this stuff

Back