New to saltwater

Justice

Reefing newb
Hi names Justin im 16 years old :sfish:

my dad bought me a 150 gallon for saltwater it comes with a wet/dry filter is it ok to use wet/dry filter for saltwater? i need as much information as possible to create a successful habbitat for these lovely fishs so anything that might seem usefull for a beginner please feel free to tell me thanks
-Justin

P.S. is a 150 gallon to big for a noob like me? :shock:

Welcome to the hobby and the discussion boards. Please surf through the Saltwater Aquarium Article forum and you will find a lot of good stuff there. If you have any specific questions after that then post them here.

The bigger the better for newbies!! The wet dry will be ok. Do you plan on having a reef tank or just a fish only tank? If you are going with a reef tank I would suggest a sump and refugium. Do a search on those and you will find a lot of information. A good protein skimmer is a must have as well for both types of tanks, but is absolutely necessary for a reef.

Hi Justin,
welcome to the forum Sailfin has given you some good info.Also if planning a reef you will need the right amount of light.

Was one of the first books I read and I even went back and read it again a year ago. Great book for the beginner even to the basics of some of the more advanced topics.

The book isn't boring and is simply an exciting and entertaining read that will truley have you turning the pages and chuckling.

Because of how easy and entertaining this book reads while getting extrememly important points across, I would truley recommend it..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...103-4972255-6875828?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Notice the 5 star rating on Amazon. Trust me you will enjoy it.

I was just trying to give you another option from what sailfin had already suggested, but the Saltwater Articles here are great also.

BV

Welcome

Welcome to the forum. I hope your visits here are fun and informative. The 150 gal tank will be a great project as you will have the room to do a lot of things. Please visit the Helpful Articles thread. you will find quite a few articles to assist you in deciding on what to keep, how to set up, basic information to give you the basis so you can make an informed decision. so take some time and browse the articles and secure a good book for reference. you will quickly find out that there is more than one way to do things and what works for one may not work for another, so you should select one opinion for middle of the road and compare before you make up your mind on the correct way for you to proceed. The 1st golden rule is" if you want to do something and you are not sure how to do it, seek the information you need to understand how to proceed". just taking someones word for it is not really learning the why. so feel free to ask questions and receive responses to what ever you need to know, but, before you proceed make sure you understand why you are doing what you are doing. in this way your system will be up in proper order, and most of all you will be able to properly maintain it. ANYWAY NOW THAT THE PEP TALK IS OUT OF THE WAY I HOPE YOU HAVE FUN WITH YOUR SYSTEM AND CONTACT US ANY TIME YOU NEED ANY SUPPORT OR INFORMATION. CONGRATULATIONS ON A VERY NICE SIZED SYSTEM. FEEL FREE TO JOIN US ON LIVE CHAT ON MON, WENS, FRI, AT 6 PM PACIFIC TIME. SEE YA THERE.

Last edited:
Rule of thumb is the bigger the tank the easier to maintain water quality wich is perfect for a starter. Welcome to the forums!

:sfish: :sfish: :sfish: :sfish: :sfish: :sfish: :sfish: :sfish:

thanks for the welcoming i feel right at home :mrgreen:

now tell me what is best to use LS or crush coral? and what else besides live rocks can i use for rocks? just trying to get some information to my brain :chair: lol

you can use base rock for the underlying strucutre you want.... it usually either has the needed bacteria growing on it, but isn't covered in coraline algea etc, so goes for a lower price.

Another good place just to get some Saltwater Safe rocks would be http://www.hirocks.com/

Good luck you will still need some LR or LS somewhere in your system to help get it started. I have had my current tank setup for 3 years now and you can't tell a difference in the rocks I paid 11.99 a pound for and the ones that were dry in a box for 1.99 a pound.

Hope this helps.
Brandon

substrait and rock

I am glad to see you are researching and asking questions before you jump in and that is very good. on the substrait I would recommend reef grade aragonite from carib sea. they have a reef select which I am using. just start with the dry no live. once you get water in they also have a live sand that you can add to jump start the system. As for the rock. Hi rock is mined reef rock from an ancient reef above ground and is shipped from Calif. also it is very dense rock. I have used it as base rock and built the reef on top of the base using figi or tonga. you want the porous and lighter weighted rock on top and the heavier more dense if used on the bottom. once your reef is built, and glued together, you can select a couple of pieces of live rock to seed the system. FINALLY CHECK OUT THE HELPFUL ARTICLES THESE ITEMS ARE COVERED THERE IN MORE DETAIL. GOOD LUCK, very good questions.

addendum: you will also find an article on making your own rock in the helpful articles. check it out. if you are handy you might want to try it but beware patients is needed for the curring process. good luck.

Last edited:
Back