New to saltwater

starlite101

Reefing newb
Hi there, I have a 65 gallon tank been set up and running for 3 days. temp is where its suppose to be. all is running great the filter, lights are on a 12 hr timer and there comin on and going off on time. going to start putting the live rock in this weekend. Cant wait to see it come to life. any advice for a newbie would be great.
P2080002.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome To The Forum.

At this point all I can contribute is to read the helpful articles starting with the sticky articles on page one. you will find a lot of information there that will help give you a strong basis to make decisions as your system developes. Hope your visits to the site are fun, educational, and productive. Welcome aboard.

whats growing in the tank on the walls after only 3 days?? You may want to do as I wsa told by john and add base rock underneath the LR for support against burrowing creatures.

it isnt a brand new tank. its the calcium that was growing on the tank when the guy sold it. its a used tank. but the rest of it is all new. he told me i didnt have to take it off unless I wanted to.

Hey Star welcome to the wonderful world of SW.

Is the stuff on the back white or pink/purple? If it is white you might want to remove it, it could be extra calcium which could make it a little difficult to control your calc level once you start getting everything together. I would prefer to add as needed not have a lot of it in the tank to start. If it is pink/purple it is probably coralline algae which would be a good thing.

As John said read read read read read and then read some more, the helpful articles are a great place to start and then the local library.

Golden rule number 2,856,259: Take it slow very slow, good things take time and bad things happen very quickly!

Be patient with it and let everything run its course (the cycle ect). Don't add to quickly or to much at once. It is a great hobby but it takes lots of patience and time. I know you don't want to look at an empty tank for a month or so but trust me it pays off in the long run!!!

Welcome again

Kevin

NICE ,DOIN GOOD SO FAR GET YOU SOME BASE ROCK AND DO YOU HAVE TESTER KITS YET IF NOT STRONGLY RECOMMEND.HAPPY FISHING :sfish:

I went and got some live rock added 14 lbs to start with. and spoke to the guy that set the tank up. and your right the white stuff on the back and sides is coralline algae .

welcome to the forum starlight,
Looks like you have good start on your new hobby.looks like you some good advice already.If you have any question always feel free to ask.everyone here likes to help.Just take it slow and and you will see the life you spoke of.I have coralife lighting and a super skimmer to.They have both been very good to me.hopefully yours will be to.You might try hirocks for some base rock to put under the live stuff.The live may end up with some die off during the cycle process.Have fun with your new hobby

Back