new to site and aquariums

biodarwin

Reefing newb
Hello all!

I have recently started research on on salt water aquariums. After visiting a family member with a 90 gallon tank, I believe I may be hooked. Once I get back from my trip I plan on getting a 24 gallon Nano Cube to test the waters. I really enjoy watching the fishes and have for years. I look forward to gaining knowledge from this site and sharing my adventures (and of course pictures) of building my reef aquarium environment.

Welcome to the site, feel free to ask any questions that you have. Just so you know in a lot of ways a nano tank can be more challenging to keep than a larger tank and it also seriously hamper your plans to keep fish, in a tank that sized you will only be able to keep 2-3 smallish sized fish.

Welcome to the site, feel free to ask any questions that you have. Just so you know in a lot of ways a nano tank can be more challenging to keep than a larger tank and it also seriously hamper your plans to keep fish, in a tank that sized you will only be able to keep 2-3 smallish sized fish.

I read about that. In a smaller space the enviroment will react faster to nitrates and other chemicals that are bad, correct? Anything else that I should keep an eye on? I wanted to just start with a 90 gallon, but I will most likely move within the next year and the smaller tank is a requirement from the wife :) She wants to make sure I have enough time to take care of it properly. I am lacking in time, but I figured it would be a good hobby that I can have that will help me reduce my stress from my job.

One last question. Is a 16 gallon only enough for 2-3 fish? I was hoping to be able to get 4-5 plus some shrimp or something else that will help keep the tank clean. Assuming I want 4-5 fish, how big of a tank do I need to get? I know that I have to at least have one clown fish to make the wifey happy :)

Best advice? Go SLOW, research, and be patient. I did not get fish until 2 months after I started the tank. I wanted my levels to be just right, and all my equipment set up correctly.

A lot of newbies say it, but I will say it again that this site has the best people to get feedback/advice from , or if you just want to vent frustration :) We're all obsessed here, so you'll most likely get a very quick response.

I am totally going slow and plan to get my tank way before I get any fish for it. I do have one question and maybe I should be asking on the forums. I do want some reef and some fish in my new aquarium. Should I get some coral first and let it grow before I add fish? Both at the same time?

IMO,a 16gal. will allow 2 fish max and they need to be small fish(no tangs).People stock way less fish in saltwater then fresh.After the cycle,it's generally fish first,then corals one or more months later depending on the coral.

Welcome!

Hello and welcome to the site...No need for me to add my two cents, everyone else has already given you great advise...

Back