New To The Board

bucyouup68

Reefing newb
I am new to the Saltwater scene, need some help setting it up. I just bought a 24 Gallon NanoCube, and need advice for the best way to set it up. Any Help would be appreciated.:bowdown:

Alright,
Use either RO/DI,or distilled to mix salt water and top off.I like to mix mine to a salinity of 1.026.Dont use tap water,there to much junk in it thats bad for your tank.

Dont use any additives unless your testing for it.Once your cycles done,test for calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium and dose those as needed.With a good quality salt,you shouldnt have to much if any additives.

You'll need something to start your cycle.Either use uncured live rock or a piece of raw table shrimp.Just drop it in and let it rot.Once you do that,start testing for ammonia.When you start getting a reading for the ammonia,pull the shrimp out.Nitrite should start to climb.Its produced by a bacteria that feeds off the ammonia.Then you'll see nitrates climbing.
Once ammonia and nitrite have spiked and fallen back to 0,your cycles complete.At that point,do a 50% water change and invest in your first hardy fish.
Hope I didnt cause to much confussion.

You can,But its fairly expensive.You'll get roughly 4 gallons for 20dollars where you can buy enough salt to mix 90 gallons for 20 bucks.

Hello and welcome.

Like Yote mentioned,don't use tapwater. even with conditioner.Tapwater can contain nitrate,phosphate and heavy metals like copper which can cause nuisance algae or worst.We do water changes to reduce nutrients not add to it.You buy premade saltwater from many LFS as well as freshwater for evaporation.Here saltwater is $1 a gallon and freshwater is $.65 a gallon.If you can't find a LFS that sell RO/DI water then places like Walmart and many grocery stores do.Another option is buy the RO/DI filter to make your own pure water.

greetings. Hope you enjoy the forum. As for water, some fish stores offer free RO water for regular customers. Don't be afraid to ask the store if they would be willing to give you 15 gallons a week for free, if they normally charge. You would be surprised what you can get for free if you ask.

-Doc

Hi. My first advice is read, then read some more, then some more, and ask questions about any thing you do not understand. There are no dumb questions, but a lot of time, money, fish and coral is lost because dumbly people do not ask enough questions.

Back