New to the hobby,will take all the advice I can get!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kevin, I'm in Frisco, TX. My wife, son and I have just purchased our first reef aquarium, it is a Aqueon 150 Reef Aquarium. We plan on trying to do our own CREE lighting and our own 55 gallon sump/refugium. Everything else we plan on purchasing. Any advice that you out there could think for us on our new reef aquarium, we would greatly appreciate. Thank you. Very nice to meet you all! :bounce:

Welcome to the site!

The best advice you'll get is to make sure you do your research and take everything slow! Ask questions and search the Internet before making any purchases of equipment or livestock. And remember if you ask questions online you'll get a varied account of people's experience, if you ask for advice at your local store you get their recommendations based on what they're trying to sell you, trying to make money.

Hello and Welcome!!

I would suggest checking out the articles section, lots of good information in there! Also if you dont understand something, please ask! Everyone here wants to see you do well long term and build the reef tank of your dreams! :)

I too just started, and all I can say is read, research, compare, read, research, ask, research, compare, dream, research..... :D
Good Luck and welcome!!!

Thank you everyone for welcoming us to club! I have been trying to do the most research possible before every step I take. Im sure I will be picking everyones brains a lot!

What I have learned about your local fish stores (LFS) is ,

1. Find out all you need to know about the fish or corals you want first either on this forum or on "LiveAquaria.com"
2. Then go the the LFS in your area that has the best livestock & just tell them wht you want. I suggest you don't ask them questions.
3. Also, when you find a fish you want ask them to FEED that fish in front of you so you can see it eat. If they refuse your request don't buy the fish. If they feed the fish & it doesn't eat it could be sick, new or maybe a problem.

Definatly, ask here first. Liveaquria has a quarantee on their livestock but the shipping is expensive. You'll NOT get a guarantee from your LFS.. :twocents:

Back