New to the Hobby

aquaaddict11

Reefing newb
Hello All! I live on the coast of SC all my life and have a real passion for aquatic life. I'm always fishing during the summer, but I was thinking about bringing the sea into my home!

I've done most of my research, and I found a 55 gallon tank custom built with a stand, refugium, wet/dry filter, ecceptional lighting (well over 1000 dollars in all the fixtures combined), test kits, heater, timers, and everything I could possilbly need.

Not to mention he is also offering his live rock, 75 pounds of it, and even will through in the fish too. I however would not be accepting the fish. He is offering all of this for only $375.00

He has to sell it because they've just had a baby. It's a steel and I've already seen pictures and I'm super excited. This is crazy!

I plan to email him tonight or tomorrow and see if we can pick it up soon! It's located in my area and he said he'd help with the transportation.

My only problem is the fish! Now that i have everything covored, i just can't wait for the inhabitants! There are so many to choose from I have my heart set on a pair of Ocellaris Clowns but I know theres room for a few other little guys i just don't know what to choose!

Any Ideas?

welcome. for a 55 gallon, you should just grab some small size fish to minimize territorial issues and a prized fish that will make your aquarium stick out. just dont overstock or you will have a whole bunch of problems on your hands.

Could you post the pictures here? Typically people who are looking to get rid of their setups tell you it's worth way more than it actually is.

Welcome to the site!

Congrats and welcome to the hobby! Wrasses, blennies, and gobies are all cool beginner fish and most of them would do just fine in a tank your size.

Thanks guys! Here's some pics of the tank, we're definetly going to look at it in person before we decide to purchase it.

3k53m73l15Y35Q15P5b1u0e821cbaf92b1614.jpg
3kc3o63lc5Z55U05P5b1vd4644f773bb8181e.jpg

are you sure gobies are beginner fish? Mandarin Dragonet? :3

A Dragonet is a Dragonet, not a goby.

If he throws in the fish (I assume the ones in the pictures) you won't be able to get the clowns you want.
I would also highly suggest not using the wet/dry filter. Does it come with a protein skimmer?

Congrats on the find, and welcome to the site! :D

I agree post up the specs on here and we can tell you the good and the bad ;)
(Lights, Skimmer, etc.)

As for fish goes, start out slow... let your tank get settled in and make sure you don't have any spikes in ammonia or nitrite from the move before you start to add fish. Usually during a move you can stir up trapped decaying matter (Detris) and kick start an ammonia/nitrite spike which can kill stuff : /

Pairs of clowns would be a great first addition!
Just an FYI in advance a 55g is a little small for any of the Tangs so you are gonna have to keep your hopes of them : /
BUT There are plenty of other Cool Fish out there! :D

I wasn't aiming on keeping the clowns he has in there, but if that's the only way i can keep the tank It's worth it.

Erin - Yes, there is a protein skimmer! I forgot to add that to my post, however he did not specify what brand or type.

Although Tangs are beautiful, and I would love to have one, I do not want to stress out any fish because of small tank size. I also was thinking about adding a few corals and an anemone.

Oh, and I'm also considering a few Blue-Green chromis.

Here I pulled up a few specifications on the lighting.

"48" Coralife Daylight & Actinic Lighting Fixture with moonlight lighting, All timers included, 2 Spotlight Fixture (Refugium Light)"

and refugium:

"Refugium Tank 20 Gal with figi mud, Protein Skimmer, Black Stand and canopy with doors, RO filter included for free"

Hope this helps!

Anemones are actually pretty hard to keep alive. If you're looking for something to "host" the clowns, people have had success with lots of other things. Hairy mushrooms are a very easy coral that clowns seem to love.

And I'm very glad to hear that you are willing to do what is best for the fish right off the bat!

Those lights aren't anywhere near $1000... but it is awesome that he will throw in the RO.

Do you know how many bulbs are in the fixture?

Thanks guys, yes I've heard that anemone's are hard for beginners I was interested in the chemistry between the two! He never mentioned anything about the bulbs, but I can ask him when I email him if it's important?

I've thought about adding a few Highfin Perchlet Anthias (I've always admired Anthias' beauty, if only i had a bigger tank i would definetly accomodate them) they have a minimum tank size of 30 gals but i've heard they can be agressive to blennies

It sound's like a great deal, having said that here's my 2 cent's #1 make sure it dosen't leak or it will all be for not,#2 take it slooowww, if those are not the clown's you want then I would take them to your LFS and get store credit or whatever,reason being,is that it will be a hole lot easier to get them out now then when you set the tank back up cause yer gonna want to add more rock..#3 research EVVVEEERRRYYYTTHHHIINNGG BEFORE YOU PURCHACE IT!!! keep us posted...

Anthias would be a great choice... you should keep them in a school, though. I think it's one male and at least two or three females, some one else is going to have to chime in there.

The important thing about the bulbs is watts/gallon. 48" bulbs are 54 watts, so there are 4 and 6 bulb fixtures, I think.

Back