New to the Hobby

mclayton

Reefing newb
Hey all, I am a long time reader, first time poster and new to the saltwater world...Here is what I have going so far:

135 G (72x18x24)
55 G Sump Tank
Gen-X PCX40 External Return Pump
Approx. 160 lbs live Rock
Stock Lighting (nothing special yet)
No Protein Skimmer at the moment, local LFS told me it wasnt needed for a few months so I decided to hold off.

Just Finished a raw shrimp cycle, and everything reads zero...
I just stocked the tank with 2 fancy clowns cause I hear they are hardy, just to ensure the water parameters are safe...

From here, I am not really sure what to do with my tank. I just wanted to post where I was at to see what people thought! Any suggestions on stocking and/or if I am completely off track and should stop the hobby let me know lol.

Here are a few pictures of the tank and sump/return pump:

mclayton10

http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/mclayton10/?
action=view&current=DSC00191.jpg
mclayton10

Hello and welcome to the site.

A) sorry, the pics are not showing up.
B) get a skimmer, regardless of what the LFS tells you (you will need one).
C) if you plan on keeping coral, you will want to start looking into upgrading your lights.

Research everything from livestock, to equipment before hand. Be patient, that is really the key to success in this hobby. And always ask questions, there are a ton of people here that love to help someone else succeed. :Cheers:

Yeah I know I need to get a protein skimmer and better lights, but due to insufficient funds at the moment, I havent been able to get those yet. I am trying to get both of them as soon as possible though, because I want to do everything I can RIGHT the first time to cause any problems later down the road.

Welcome! The folks here are great and very helpful. And everyone here seems really dedicated to doing things the right way, so I'm sure you'll learn a lot. Good luck!

Back