new to the marine side of aquariums

meatwad0601

a.k.a. Don Jeremeat
just wanted to say hey to everyone and thx for giving me a few ideas for planing my new saltwater setup. i have been into aquariums since i was seven when my dad pulled out a five gallon tank from the attic. ive had the fever since. my brother's influenced me to when he got into saltwater. now that i can afford it, i bought his old setup which was a 150gal acrylic custom built tank with ets 800 protein skimmer two iwaki 1100gph pumps ro-di water system dossing pumps and loads of extras for $500. Ive been studying for weeks and am trying to diy a lot my self. once again thx for the info, ive been reading this forum for a few weeks now and learned alot

im trying to figure out how to start up with what i have so far. it came with about 60 to 80lbs of dead or dry coral and 20 to 30lbs of dry crushed coral sand. i know i need some more substrate probably gonna get some live sand when the time come to setup but im going FOWLR for now and need to know can i use the rock i have now and get a couple pieces of LR once its cycled to help out the dead ones

I would stay away from the crushed coral sand it will trap particles of detrius and eventually create nitrate problems. You're better off going with argonite or a sugar sized sand. And you don't need to buy live sand, when you add the live rock it will make the sand live. Also, if you add live rocks to your tank now instead of waiting it will help start your cycle.

Welcome to the site.
Like BL1 said,go a head and get a few pounds of live rock to seed what you already have.It'll speed up the cycling process.
And toss the crushed coral.Just get some dry aragonite and let the rock seed the sand.

Back