New to the Reef

Nathan Jolliff

Reefing newb
Hey guys, im new here and to the saltwater scene. Ive been reading alot of books about the different fish, corals, so on and so forth and tank set up and all the ends and outs that go with it. I could use an opinion on a tank. I dont have alot of money to spend so I was thinking about maybe going with the JBJ 28 gallon Nano? It would be a reef tank of course. What do you think? Hello to all!!

Welcome to the site. Don't know anything about the nano cubes except that they look neat. Sorry. I'm sure someone on here owns one though.

Welcome aboard Nathan.
There are a lot of hobbiest with those JBJ tanks.And a 28 is a pretty decent size to start with.

Nathan mine was custom made, and most of them are. You can have any size made. Brett is the owner and he will give you an estimate if you shoot him an email or call him. It takes about 5-6 weeks to have one built with the custom stand.
They typically are only 12" deep but can go up to around 20" safely.

Are you seriously considering getting one?

Nathan mine was custom made, and most of them are. You can have any size made. Brett is the owner and he will give you an estimate if you shoot him an email or call him. It takes about 5-6 weeks to have one built with the custom stand.
They typically are only 12" deep but can go up to around 20" safely.

Are you seriously considering getting one?
Well as you can see I'm pretty new here but I would eventually like to own one in the 2 to 300 gallon range.I see that there an overflow type of tank. Are they more prone to developing water contaminants since there so much more open than a regular run of the mill tank? If you wouldn't mind me asking and it's okay if not but what did you end up having to purchase yours for? Thanks so much for the information! :^:

Contaminants - probably a tad more since there is more water exposure. But I have seen no problems with it. On the other hand I don't spray anything around it.

Cost. Well not cheap that's for sure. Mine is roughly 6 1/2 feet by 3 feet. Around 150 gallons. It cost approx. $4600. delivered. Tank, stand, light fixture arm (no light) and large sump and hoses.

Pictures of mine are on the tank showcase thread.

Yeah yeah yeah we all know you got an awsome tank David you dont gotta rub it in:shock: by telling everyone to go look at it we know you have a ZERO EDGE TANK. Just kidding i want one too.:bowdown:

Yeah yeah yeah we all know you got an awsome tank David you dont gotta rub it in:shock: by telling everyone to go look at it we know you have a ZERO EDGE TANK. Just kidding i want one too.:bowdown:
:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

$4600 with out a light holy :pooh: you a Doctor or a lawyer or just a Indian Chief dude. Maybe you are a G.M. executive ayway geez get a new car or a tank guess you went for the tank.

Zero Edge tanks are amazing.. I just left the Royal show... And they had an amazing edgeless tank... Hey Im posting some pics on my page as soon as I get to Miami.. Check them out at MarineGeek.com!

Back