New to the saltwater game!

04redmach1

Reefing newb
Hey all, I am new to the saltwater game and just bought a 29 gallon Marineland/Eclipse ocean kit. Petco let us have it for $135, regular $229!! Wife always wanted one and so have I.

I have a few questions, we are going to do a reef. Looking at clowns, mandarins, blenny, and few other small colorful fish. My question is how hard are seahorses to keep with other fish? If not well then we may get a dwarf lion as well.

Anyone use this aquarium as well?

Seahorses with other fish? Simple answer, you can't. Oh, I've read about having one other fish being in the tank, but I think it was a burrowing type. Can't have much of a bio-load in there, ponies require almost a still tank. Others can take up the rest. Good luck, welcome to the Reef! Coffeebean

Hello and welcome to the site, glad to have you...I started off with that same exact tank, and didn't do so well with it. The lights are only good enough for soft corals, so I had to replace them. I now us the tank as my mixed reef tank, so I had to remove the top completely. You will be able to keep a few small fish, including clowns, but I wouldn't suggest a mandarin, they are kinda difficult to kept fed, especially in a small tank. This tank will be a perfect tank for seahorses if that's the direction you're going in. Good luck with whatever you decide, and don't hesitate to ask questions before purchasing something, we may save you few $. :)

Just realize that once the live rock, sand, and water are in, and everything is hooked up and ready to go, that you can't put any fish in it for at least a month. With that in mind, do your research in the meantime, look at some of the fish and corals for sale on Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums, The Marine Center: Your source for the rarest, net-collected fish and corals, Buy Saltwater Fish - Marine Fish, Salt Water Aquarium Fish, and Tropical Fish from BlueZooAquatics, etc, and learn about them.

You say you're new to saltwater, which implies that you're not a stranger to freshwater. If you have any experience with either setup you'll know about cycling and how long it may take.

If you're completely new, this hobby is rewarded with patience. Mistakes are *expensive.* Don't rush it.

Welcome to the forum. Picasso is very knowledgeable on the topic of Seahorses, so post some questions in the Seahorses and Pipefish section of the forum to get her attention.

+1 everyone -- seahorses are an advanced saltwater animal, mainly because water conditions have to be near perfect, the water flow needs to be just right, if they don't eat frozen food, you have to feed them live food. I wouldn't recommended that they be kept with other fish because they are extremely slow creatures, and will not be able to compete with fish during feeding time....this is, not to say it's impossible to keep them with other fish because I think one person here has done it, but they just have different needs than most fish (like slower water flow and caulerpa to hide in) I suggest dip your feet with clowns first and other hardy fish and corals, then when you get the hang of things, I suggest you get a 2nd tank for your ponies :D (Ideally, that is -- nothing wrong with 2 tanks ;) hehehehe).

Back