New to the Saltwater world

jdavison

Reefing newb
I am new to the saltwater world and this is what I have: 75 gallon tank with stand I have on order a lighting system with moonlinghting and 2 power head pumps, I have the heaters, salt, testing equipment and other small stuff. I know that I want to run a sump system on the tank to keep the clean look and keep a more stable tank for the long run. I will have alot of questions in the future, but I do have one at this time. With the sump system what size pumps do I need to get, supply and return also I havent ordered the skimmer so if this weighs in let me know please. Keep in mind I am a fire fighter and not a chemist, I need this simple. Thanks

The absolute number one rule of marine tanks is: Patience!

Research your skimmer well. Some are better than others. You can save a lot of money too by using dead rock and curing it yourself --but this takes longer.

Also, if you do buy live rock keep it wet and get it into your tank as quickly as possible.

Welcome to the reef.
Did you order a reef ready tank? If not,then you'll need a hang on back over-flow box to handle the drain to the sump.I'd recommend something like a mag drive 5 for the return pump.
As for skimmers.Look into the Octopus skimmers,ETSS,Warner Marine.Theres way to many options to post them all.
Also,we require pics in return for information:D J/K But we do love pics.

Welcome to the site!!! Fire away with all the question you have, will be glad to help.

First to your question now. I'd try a return pump like the Mag Drive. I'd try the Mag 7 or Mag 9. Good quality pump's only draw back with them is they do add some heat to the system. Not a lot but the do.

If the 75 is a RR tank, then it should have something like a 1/2 or 1 inch drain pipe. If it's a 1 inch drain pipe then you would use a 1/2 inch return pipe. So you want about half the size pipe smaller for the return than the drain.

I'd like to give some advise to you on the skimmer, A good quality skimmer that will be well worth the money is the brand Octopus. Here is a link to it. ( I never bought from this site I just use it to show what I'm refering to, I'm sure there are other site's that sell it cheaper)
http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-dnw-150-br-recirculatingbr-protein-skimmer-984.html

I'm a fan of the external skimmer's because they are easier to work with as they don't flux. Skimmer's that sit inside the sump have to be in a certain amount of water to work best. So I'm showing you the the skimmer size & model I think would be best for your size tank.

Hope this all helps.

Back