New to the site and starting a new tank wanted to share!

saltwaterlife

Reefing newb
Hey everyone my name is Sam. I've been in the hobby a good 7 years now and left the hobby for a year now im back and setting up a nice small 40g cube tank! Just wanted to share my build and get to know some of the ppl on this site!

tankstand.jpg

My brother and I built the stand together and stained it, should have taken pics during the build but didnt think about it at the time haha.

tankrw.jpg

Tank with the Rock work put in, spent a lot of time on the rock work. Its my favorite thing about saltwater tanks. I think it came out pretty awesome!

welcome, my names also sam! haha thats awesome rockwork. lots of room for coral placement. nice caves. what are you using for a light?

Sorry havent been on in awhile want to post some updated pics, have my lights on now and started to put coral in! ill post some pics in a few mins. Thanks for all the good vibes and comments!

lights.jpg
lights on looks pretty good, I bought the aqua illumination Led 72w. Pretty nice lighting system!

fish.jpg

closer pic sorry the pictures suck taking them with my phone haha

sideview.jpg
side view, why i love this rock work so much is on all sides there is a lot of room for coral, which this is going to be mix reef haha im excited to get evertything in here!

madrine.jpg

My Blue mandarin, my favorite fish! haha i have to keep putting in pods for him to make sure he will have enough food in this system, he is from ora and im hoping he will also start eating mysis shrip.

clowns.jpg

Platinum clowns awesome little guys paired up right away, will get a rose anemone soon for them!
So far whats in my tank. Fish list
Yellow Assessor
Platinum clown pair
neon dottyback
sunrise dottyback
smiths blenny
banji cardinal
pajama cardinal
clown fairy wrasse
mccosker's fairy wrasse
blue star leopard wrasse pretty full on fish already I dont think I plan on anymore fish for awhile if ever haha

Woaaaaaaah, baby, that is enough fish for 120 gal!

You only want 1 fish for every 10 gallons, especially in a new tank like you have. To add more than that will put your tank under serious stress and will result in a high tank mortality, not to mention huge problems with water chemistry.

Also nems are some of the hardest animals to keep in this hobby, requiring stable tanks with pristine water conditions, plus they have very high lighting requirements. I dont recommend them for beginners or tanks under a year old.

yeah ive been doing reef for 7 years, not worried about the ammount of fish, a lot of those fish produce very small amount of waste, i have a Reef Octopus NWB-110, up to 100g and now i just have to do water changes more often. But all the fish will be fine i have had them all in there about 3 weeks now everyone is doing just fine.

Its not about the waste, thats like me sticking you in a 4x4x4 foot box and saying i dont care if you :pooh: on yourself because there are airholes.

There is not enough room! Thats cramped and cruel.

Back